[Crib-list] SPEAKER: JACOB BRINGEWATT (University of Maryland) / "Virtual" CRIBB Seminar / 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM / Friday, November 5, 2021

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Tue Nov 2 16:55:09 EDT 2021

 	     COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR
 				(CRIBB)

   ZOOM meeting info...

 	https://mit.zoom.us/j/96155042770

 	Meeting ID: 961 5504 2770

====================================

DATE:	Friday, November 5, 2021

TIME:	12:00 PM - 1:00 PM

TITLE:	Lefschetz Thimble Quantum Monte Carlo
 	for Spin Systems

SPEAKER:   JACOB BRINGEWATT  (University of Maryland)

ABSTRACT:

Monte Carlo simulations are often useful tools for modeling quantum
systems, but in some cases they suffer from a sign problem, which
manifests as an oscillating phase attached to the probabilities being
sampled. This sign problem generally leads to an exponential slow down in
the time taken by a Monte Carlo algorithm to reach any given level of
accuracy, and it has been shown that completely solving the sign problem
for an arbitrary quantum system is NP-hard. However, a variety of
techniques exist for mitigating the sign problem in specific cases; in
particular, the technique of deforming the Monte Carlo simulation's plane
of integration onto Lefschetz thimbles (that is, complex hypersurfaces of
stationary phase) has seen success for many problems of interest in the
context of quantum field theories. We extend this methodology to discrete
spin systems by utilizing spin coherent state path integrals to re-express
the spin system's partition function in terms of continuous variables.
This translation to continuous variables introduces additional challenges
into the Lefschetz thimble method, which we address. We show that these
techniques do indeed work to lessen the sign problem on some simple spin
systems.

Based on: arXiv:2110.10699

=======================================

For information about the "Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar"
(CRIBB), please visit:

 		https://math.mit.edu/sites/crib/

Shirley A. Entzminger
Administrative Assistant II