[Crib-list] SPEAKER: Peter James Ahrens (MIT) / CRIBB Seminar / Friday, May 7, 2021 / TIME: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM / (ZOOM Info below)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Mon May 3 18:32:37 EDT 2021

 		   COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR
                                            (CRIBB)

ZOOM MEETING info:

 	https://mit.zoom.us/j/96155042770

 	Meeting ID: 961 5504 2770

DATE:	Friday, May 7, 2021

TIME:	12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM

TItLE:  On Optimal Partitioning for Variable Block Row Format

SPEAKER: Peter James Ahrens  (MIT)

ABSTRACT:

The Variable Block Row (VBR) format is an influential blocked sparse
matrix format designed for matrices with shared sparsity structure between
adjacent rows and columns. VBR groups adjacent rows and columns, storing
the resulting blocks that contain nonzeros in a dense format. This reduces
the memory footprint and enables optimizations such as register blocking
and instruction-level parallelism. Existing approaches use heuristics to
determine which rows and columns should be grouped together. We show that
finding the optimal grouping of rows and columns for VBR is NP-hard under
several reasonable cost models. In light of this finding, we propose a
1-dimensional variant of VBR, called 1D-VBR, which achieves better
performance than VBR by only grouping rows. We describe detailed cost
models for runtime and memory consumption. Then, we describe a linear time
dynamic programming solution for optimally grouping the rows for 1D-VBR
format. We extend our algorithm to produce a heuristic VBR partitioner
which alternates between optimally partitioning rows and columns, assuming
the columns or rows to be fixed, respectively. Our alternating heuristic
produces VBR matrices with the smallest memory footprint of any
partitioner we tested.

BIO:

Peter Ahrens is a DOE CSGF (Computational Science Graduate Fellow) at MIT
working with Professor Saman Amarasinghe. Peter focuses on problems of
efficiently allocating machine resources to sparse computations.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA  02139

For information about the CRIBB Seminar, please visit:

 	https://math.mit.edu/sites/crib/

Seminar will be virtual.  ZOOM Info is at the top of this page, on the attached
poster and on the CRIBB website:

===

Shirley A. Entzminger
Administrative Assistant II