[Crib-list] REMINDER... SPEAKER: Kevin Silmore (MIT) -- CRIBB Seminar - Friday, March 5, 2021 - TIME: 12:00 Noon - 1:00 PM [via ZOOM| (fwd)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Mar 5 10:12:26 EST 2021

  A   R E M I N D E R . . .

 		   COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR
 					   (CRIBB)

ZOOM MEETING info:

 	https://mit.zoom.us/j/96155042770

 	Meeting ID: 961 5504 2770

DATE:	Friday, March 5, 2021

TIME:	12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM

TItLE:		Buckling, Crumpling, And Tumbling Of Semiflexible
 		   Sheets in Simple Shear Flow

SPEAKER:	Kevin Silmore  (MIT)

ABSTRACT:

As 2D materials such as graphene, transition metal dichalcogenides, and 2D
polymers become more prevalent, solution processing and colloidal-state
properties are being exploited to create advanced and functional materials.
However, our understanding of the fundamental behavior of 2D sheets and
membranes in fluid flow is still lacking.  In this work, we perform numerical
simulations of athermal semiflexible sheets with hydrodynamic interactions in
shear flow.  For sheets initially oriented in the flow-gradient plane, we find
buckling instabilities of different mode numbers that vary with bending
stiffness and can be understood with a quasi-static model of elasticity. For
different initial orientations, chaotic tumbling trajectories are observed.

BIO:  Kevin Silmore is a Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate
Fellow and PhD Candidate in Chemical Engineering and Computation at MIT.
Working with James Swan and Michael Strano, his research lies at the
intersection of nanomaterials, soft matter physics, and numerical methods
development.  Kevin graduated with a BSE in Chemical and Biological Engineering
from Princeton University in 2016.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA  02139

For information about the CRIBB Seminar, please visit:

 	https://math.mit.edu/sites/crib/

Seminar will be virtual.  ZOOM Info is at the top of this page, on the attached
poster and on the CRIBB website:

Please contact me if you have any questiona.

===

Shirley A. Entzminger
Administrative Assistant II
Department of Mathematics