[Crib-list] A REMINDER. . . SPEAKER: Yuexia Luna Lin (Harvard) / CRIBB Seminar / 12PM - 1PM / Friday, July 10, 2020

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Thu Jul 9 16:58:54 EDT 2020

                A  R E M I N D E R . . .

Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar
                               (CRIBB)

DATE:	  Friday, July 10, 2020

TIME:	  12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM

SPEAKER:  YUEXIA LUNA LIN  (Harvard)

TITLE:    Reference map technique: a fully Eulerian method for
           fluid-structure interactions

ZOOM Information...

https://mit.zoom.us/j/96034732289

         Meeting ID: 960 3473 2289

         Password: 567284

ABSTRACT:

Fluid-structure interactions (FSI) are abundantly observed in contexts
ranging from swimming in the pool, to industrial level manufacturing, to
bacteria collective motion on a petri dish. However, the governing
equations are only analytically trackable in the simple cases, making
simulations key to understand this fantastic class of problems.
Conventional computational methods often create a dilemma for
fluid-structure interaction (FSI) problems. Typically, solids are
simulated using a Lagrangian approach with a grid that moves with the
material, whereas fluids are simulated using an Eulerian approach with a
fixed spatial grid. FSI methods often require some type of interfacial
coupling between the two different perspectives. We present a fully
Eulerian FSI method that addresses these challenges. The method makes
use of reference map, which maps the solid in the current space to the
reference space. Reference map is a common concept in finite strain
theory, but it has been under-utilized as a primary variable for solid
and FSI simulations. A challenge in applying the reference map technique
(RMT) in FSI is to extrapolate reference map values from grid cells
occupied by the solids to unoccupied grid cells, in order to calculate
derivative using finite difference schemes. This challenge becomes more
acute when applying RMT to simulations in 3D. We develop an
extrapolation algorithm based on least-square linear regression that is
suitable for parallelization. We show examples to demonstrate that RMT
is well suited for simulating soft, highly-deformable materials and
many-body contact problems. Joint work with Nicholas Derr and Chris H.
Rycroft (SEAS, Harvard University) and Ken Kamrin (Mechanical
Engineering, MIT).

=====================================

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the "Computational Research in Boston and Beyond
Seminar" (CRIBB), please visit https://math.mit.edu/crib/

==============

Shirley A. Entzminger
Administrative Assistant II