[Crib-list] TODAY...SPEAKER: Ian Dunn (Columbia University & DOE CSGF Fellow) | Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar (CRIBB) | Thursday, May 30, 2019 | TIME: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM in Building 32, Room 141 (STATA)

daisymae@mit.edu daisymae at mit.edu
Thu May 30 10:09:27 EDT 2019

 	T O D A Y . . .

DATE:		Thursday, May 30, 2019

TIME:		12:00 PM to 1:00 PM

LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 141  (STATA)
 		         32 Vassar Street
 		         Cambridge, MA

 		       (Pizza/beverages will be provided at 11:45 AM.

TITLE:		Numerically exact electron-phonon dynamics: projecting
 		  away instabilities in the hierarchical equations
 		  of motion

SPEAKER:	Ian Dunn (Columbia University & DOE CSGF Fellow)

ABSTRACT:

Coupled electron-phonon dynamics span a rich array of chemical and
physical phenomena that includes energy and charge mobility in polar
semiconductors, spectroscopic signatures in organic molecular crystals,
dynamics in biological light-harvesting complexes, and superconductivity.
Yet, models of such dynamics remain challenging to solve. One popular
computational approach for solving these models exactly is the
hierarchical equations of motion (HEOM).  We have found that HEOM contains
inherent instabilities that grow exponentially in time. In the case of
continuous-bath models, these instabilities are routinely delayed to later
times by increasing the hierarchy dimension; however, for systems coupled
to discrete, nondispersive modes, increasing the hierarchy dimension does
little to alleviate the problem.  We show that these instabilities can
also be removed completely at a potentially much lower cost via projection
onto the space of stable eigenmodes; furthermore, we find that for
discrete-bath models at zero temperature, the remaining projected dynamics
computed with few hierarchy levels are essentially identical to the exact
dynamics that otherwise might require an intractably large number of
hierarchy levels for convergence. Recognizing that computation of the
eigenmodes might be prohibitive, we also present a Prony filtration
algorithm that may be useful as an alternative for accomplishing this
projection when diagonalization is too costly. We present results
demonstrating the efficacy of HEOM projected via diagonalization and Prony
filtration.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar
(CRIBB), please visit....

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib/

===

Shirley A. Entzminger