[Crib-list] SPEAKER: Noah Mandell (Princeton) -- Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar (CRIBB) -- Friday, August 2, 2019 from 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM in Building 36, Room 462

daisymae@mit.edu daisymae at mit.edu
Tue Jul 30 17:38:07 EDT 2019

DATE:		Friday, August 2, 2019

TIME:		12:00 PM to 1:00 PM

LOCATION:	Building 36, Room 462  (RLE)

 		Enter... 50 Vassar Street
 		         Cambridge, MA

 	      (Pizza/beverages will be provided at 11:45 AM inside
 		       Room 36-462

TITLE:		Electromagnetic gyrokinetic turbulence simulations in the
 		tokamak edge with discontinuous Galerkin methods

SPEAKER:	Noah Mandell  (Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory)

ABSTRACT:

Gkeyll, a full-F continuum gyrokinetic code, is being developed to study
plasma turbulence in the edge and scrape-off-layer (SOL) region of fusion
devices.  This region involves large-amplitude fluctuations,
electromagnetic effects, and plasma interactions with material walls due
to open magnetic field lines; all of these effects make the edge more
computationally challenging than the core region. Gkeyll models the
turbulence by solving the 5-D full-F gyrokinetic system in Hamiltonian
form using an energy-conserving high-order discontinuous Galerkin (DG)
scheme.  I will present new simulations that self-consistently include the
effects of electromagnetic fluctuations of the background magnetic field
on the turbulence in the SOL.  These simulations are the first continuum
gyrokinetic simulations on open field lines to include electromagnetic
effects.

I will also present some of the implementation details of the DG scheme in
Gkeyll.  We choose a modal basis composed of orthonormalized Serendipity
polynomials, which makes tensor products sparse. We use a computer algebra
system (like Mathematica) to compute the (sparse) tensor products in the
DG weak form of the gyrokinetic equation.  This system then generates the
solver kernels that form the back end of Gkeyll: thousands of lines of
machine-written C code containing no loops.  This allows our algorithm to
be able to take full advantage of the sparsity, and it also makes the
implementation quadrature-free.  The result is an O(10) speed-up over a
previous implementation which used a nodal Serendipity basis with Gaussian
quadrature.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar
(CRIBB), please visit....

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib/

===

Shirley A. Entzminger