[Crib-list] TODAY: SPEAKER: Noah Mandell (Princeton) -- Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar (CRIBB) -- Friday, August 2, 2019 from 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM in Building 36, Room 462

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Aug 2 10:13:28 EDT 2019

 	T O D A Y . . .

DATE:		Friday, August 2, 2019

TIME:		12:00 PM to 1:00 PM

LOCATION:	Building 36, Room 462  (RLE)

  		 Enter... 50 Vassar Street
  		          Cambridge, MA

  	       (Pizza/beverages will be provided at 11:45 AM inside
  		        Room 36-462

TITLE:		Electromagnetic gyrokinetic turbulence simulations in the
  		 tokamak edge with discontinuous Galerkin methods

SPEAKER:	Noah Mandell  (Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory)

ABSTRACT:

Gkeyll, a full-F continuum gyrokinetic code, is being developed to study
plasma turbulence in the edge and scrape-off-layer (SOL) region of fusion
devices.  This region involves large-amplitude fluctuations, electromagnetic
effects, and plasma interactions with material walls due to open magnetic
field lines; all of these effects make the edge more computationally
challenging than the core region. Gkeyll models the turbulence by solving the
5-D full-F gyrokinetic system in Hamiltonian form using an energy-conserving
high-order discontinuous Galerkin (DG) scheme.  I will present new
simulations that self-consistently include the effects of electromagnetic
fluctuations of the background magnetic field on the turbulence in the SOL.
These simulations are the first continuum gyrokinetic simulations on open
field lines to include electromagnetic effects.

I will also present some of the implementation details of the DG scheme in
Gkeyll.  We choose a modal basis composed of orthonormalized Serendipity
polynomials, which makes tensor products sparse. We use a computer algebra
system (like Mathematica) to compute the (sparse) tensor products in the DG
weak form of the gyrokinetic equation.  This system then generates the solver
kernels that form the back end of Gkeyll: thousands of lines of
machine-written C code containing no loops.  This allows our algorithm to be
able to take full advantage of the sparsity, and it also makes the
implementation quadrature-free.  The result is an O(10) speed-up over a
previous implementation which used a nodal Serendipity basis with Gaussian
quadrature.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar
(CRIBB), please visit....

  			http://math.mit.edu/crib/

===

Shirley A. Entzminger