[Crib-list] TODAY... SPEAKER: Fernando Perez (UC, Berkeley) | Friday, Sept. 21, 2018 | 1:00 PM in Room 32-144 (STATA)

daisymae@mit.edu daisymae at mit.edu
Fri Sep 21 12:15:34 EDT 2018

 	T O D A Y . . .

 			Special SEMINAR

 		   Hosted by  Prof. Alan Edelman (MIT)

DATE:		Friday, September 21, 2018

TIME:		1:00 PM - 2:00 PM

LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 144  (STATA)

TITLE:		Sustainable development of scientific open source tools:
 		     a view from Jupyter

SPEAKER:	Fernando Perez  (UC,Berkeley)

ABSTRACT:

It is by now well established that software plays an increasingly important
role in scientific research. We are gradually recognizing the importance of
tools that are robust, well-tested, documented, and that support reproducible
research practices. However, the development of such tools is a complex,
resource-intensive process for which most scientists are poorly trained, and
that is rarely recognized by the incentive structures of professional research.

In this talk, I will discuss some of the work we have done in Project Jupyter
from the perspective of these issues.  I will highlight some recent technical
developments in Jupyter that may be of interest to the GCC/BOSC audience, and
will discuss lessons we have learned in over 15 years of building these tools
at the intersection of research, education and industrial partnerships.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA