[Crib-list] SPEAKER: Jonathan Gootenberg (MIT) | Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar (CRIBB) | Friday, 12/01/2017 | 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM | Building 32, Room 144 (STATA)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Tue Nov 28 15:51:08 EST 2017

DATE:		Friday, December 1, 2017

TIME:		11:00 AM to 12:00 Noon    (NOTE Time)

LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 144  (STATA)
 		   32 Vassar Street
 		   Cambridge, MA

 		(Pizza/beverages will be provided at 10:45 AM outside
 		Room 32-144)

TITLE:		Harnessing computationally discovered CRISPR systems for
 		transcriptome engineering and human health

SPEAKER:	Jonathan Gootenberg  (MIT)

ABSTRACT:

CRISPR systems have enabled substantial progress towards the manipulation
of DNA for studying genetics and gene therapy.  We extend this utility to
RNA by leveraging the computationally discovered RNA-targeting CRISPR
systems Cas13 for applications including diagnostics and targeting RNA in
live cells. We demonstrate that Cas13 can be engineered for RNA knockdown,
RNA binding, and RNA editing in mammalian cells.  For diagnostic
applications, we combine Cas13a with isothermal amplification to establish
a CRISPR-based diagnostic, providing rapid DNA or RNA detection with
attomolar sensitivity and single-base mismatch specificity.  We use this
Cas13-based molecular detection platform, termed SHERLOCK, to detect
specific strains of Zika and Dengue virus, distinguish pathogenic
bacteria, genotype human DNA, and identify cell-free tumor DNA mutations.
Our results establish CRISPR-Cas13 as a flexible platform for RNA
targeting with wide applicability for studying RNA in mammalian cells and
detecting nucleic acids, and demonstrate the value of computational mining
for new molecular tools.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar
(CRIBB), please visit....

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib/

===

Shirley A. Entzminger