[Crib-list] TODAY: SPEAKER: Benjamin Schubert | CRIBB Seminar | Friday, May 5, 2017 | TIME: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM | Building 32, Room 155

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri May 5 10:30:57 EDT 2017

 	T O D A Y . . .

 		   COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND Seminar

DATE:		Friday, May 5, 2017
TIME:		12:00 PM  1:00 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 155  (STATA)
 		 (32 Vassar Street, Cambridge)

     Pizza and beverages will be provided at 11:45 AM outside Room 32-155.

TITLE:		Population-specific design of de-immunized
 			 protein biotherapeutics

SPEAKER:	BENJAMIN SCHUBERT  (Harvard Medical School)

ABSTRACT:

Immunogenicity is a major problem during the development of biotherapeutics
since it can lead to rapid clearance of the drug and adverse reactions. The
challenge for biotherapeutic design is therefore to identify mutants of the
protein sequence that minimize immunogenicity in a target population whilst
retaining pharmaceutical activity and structural stability. Current approaches
are moderately successful in designing sequences with reduced immunogenicity,
do not account for the genetic variation of the immune system in a specific
population, and require costly experimental post-screening to guarantee
structural and functional integrity.

Here, we will present a novel computational approach for de-immunization design
using multi-objective combinatorial optimization that simultaneously optimizes
the likelihood of a functional protein sequence at the same time as minimizing
its immunogenicity tailored to a target population. We bypass the need for
three-dimensional protein structure and molecular simulations to identify
functional designs by generating sequences using a probabilistic model that has
been used previously for mutation effect and structure prediction. We will
demonstrate the method's potential based on initial results of a
proof-of-principle study in which we redesigned Factor VIII, a replacement
therapeutic used to treat hemophilia A.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar,
please visit...

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib/

===
Shirley A. Entzminger