[Crib-list] TODAY: SPEAKER: Ryan McKinnon (MIT) | CRIBB Seminar | Friday, March 3, 2017 | TIME: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM | Building 32, Room 155 (fwd)

daisymae@mit.edu daisymae at mit.edu
Fri Mar 3 10:11:14 EST 2017

 	T O D A Y . . .

 		   COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

DATE:		Friday, MARCH 3, 2017
TIME:		12:00 PM  1:00 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 155  (STATA)
 		(32 Vassar Street, Cambridge)

     Pizza and beverages will be provided at 11:45 AM outside Room 32-155.

TITLE:		Grain Dynamics in Astrophysical Simulations

SPEAKER:	RYAN McKINNON  (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)

ABSTRACT:

Galaxies in the universe form and grow over time in a complicated nonlinear
fashion.  Recent advances in supercomputing ability make it possible to
numerically model the essential physics and evolve a mock universe from shortly
after the Big Bang to the present day, producing a fairly realistic population
of galaxies.  In this talk, I will overview the key topics in physics that
govern galaxy formation and display visualizations from state-of-the-art
astrophysical simulations.  The spectroscopic properties of real galaxies are
heavily influenced by the presence of dust grains, small solid molecules of
various sizes that can absorb and reradiate stellar light in the gaseous
interstellar medium.  I will talk about the challenge of modeling small-scale
grain physics, focusing on the hydrodynamical drag force coupling grains and
gas and the time-evolving size distribution of dust grains.  To validate the
numerical implementation of grain physics in a modern astrophysical code, I
will show results from a variety of test problems in hydrodynamics and grain
size dynamics.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar,
please visit...

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib/

===
Shirley A. Entzminger