[Crib-list] SPEAKER: Jerry Wang (MIT) | CRIBB Seminar | Friday, Dec. 2, 2016 | TIME: 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM | Building 32, Room 141 (Stata)

daisymae@mit.edu daisymae at mit.edu
Wed Nov 30 18:39:58 EST 2016

 	COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

DATE:		FRIDAY, DECEMBER 2, 2016
TIME:		1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 141  (STATA)
 		 (32 Vassar Street, Cambridge)

 		 Pizza and beverages will be provided at 12:45 PM
 		 outside Room 141.

TITLE:		Computational Modeling of Nanoconfined Fluids:
 		 Big Surprises Come in (Very) Small Packages

SPEAKER:	JERRY WANG  (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)

ABSTRACT:

Nanoscale fluids, unlike their macroscale cousins, exhibit a number of
surprising effects that are not present within continuum theories. In
particular, the equilibrium and transport properties of nanoconfined fluids can
be substantially different from the bulk properties of that fluid.
Understanding the physical basis for these anomalous fluid properties including
nanoconfined fluid structure, density, and self-diffusivity is central to many
pursuits in nanoscale technology. These nanofluidic phenomena afford great
opportunities to think big by thinking small specific engineering applications
include nanoporous water filters to nanoscale drug delivery mechanisms to
nanoscale heat transfer devices (as well as high-efficiency molecular
simulation methods, for those of us who identify as computational engineers)!

In this talk, we present a theoretical and computational description of these
phenomena in the context of dense simple fluids confined within a variety of
nanoscale structures, including carbon nanotubes and graphene nanoslits. We
show that the anomalous nanoconfined fluid density can be substantially lower
than the bulk density, and that this reduced density is primarily due to
repulsive fluid-solid interactions. Using a mean-field approach, we obtain
closed-form analytical results for the length-scales associated with fluid
layering near the solid-fluid interface. These results allow us to predict the
equilibrium fluid density as a function of the confinement length-scale. Our
predictions are in excellent agreement with molecular dynamics simulations as
well as results from the experimental literature.

We also show that the fluid-solid energy landscape and associated density
profile can be used to explain the anomalous diffusive transport observed in
such systems. In particular, the presence of a layered structure near the
fluid-solid interface implies that fluid molecules near the solid wall exhibit
different dynamics as compared to bulk fluid molecules. By constructing
different models for diffusion in the near-wall and the bulk regions of the
CNT, we show that we can approximately predict the overall diffusive behavior
of the nanoconfined fluid. We demonstrate that these results are in agreement
with molecular dynamics simulations.  We show how several aspects of this
theory can be used to model more-complex fluids, including water.  Finally, we
demonstrate how accurate knowledge of these anomalous fluid properties can
inform simple models of nanoscale mass and heat transfer phenomena.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND Seminar,
please visit...

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib/

===
Shirley A. Entzminger