[Crib-list] SPEAKER: Martin Herbordt (Boston University) -- CRIBB Seminar - Friday, May 6, 2016 at 12:00 Noon in STATA - Building 32, Room 124

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Tue May 3 19:05:50 EDT 2016

 		    COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

DATE:		Friday, May 6, 2016

TIME:		12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM

LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 124

 	Pizza provided at 11:45 AM outside Room 32-124

TITLE:		Scalable High Performance Computing with FPGA-based
 		clusters:   Is it (finally) time for FPGAs in HPC?

SPEAKER:	Martin Herbordt  (Boston University)

ABSTRACT:

The acquisition of Altera by Intel and the deployment by Microsoft of
FPGAs in the Cloud indicate that widespread use of FPGAs for High
Performance Computing may (finally) have arrived.  This talk has two
parts.  In the first part we describe our work with FPGA-centric clusters
with direct and programmable interconnects.  These systems address
fundamental limits on HPC performance by maximizing computational density,
minimizing power, removing the bottleneck between processing and
communication, and facilitating intelligent and application-aware
processing in the network itself.  For example, knowing the routing
pattern a priori often enables congestion-free communication.  We describe
our 128-node publicly available cluster, Novo-G#, its software and IP
infrastructure, and strong scaling of communication-bound applications
such as long time-scale Molecular Dynamics.  In the second part we discuss
general issues such as prospects for FPGA-based HPC in the Cloud,
programmability, integration with standard middleware, and potential
applications.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the "Computational Research in Boston and Beyond
Seminar" (CRIBB), please visit...

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib/