[Crib-list] Speaker: NICHOLAS ARCOLANO (RunKeeper) -- "Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar (CRIBB) -- Friday, May 1, 2015 -- TIME: 12:00 Noon in Bldg. 32, Room 124.

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Tue Apr 28 14:37:48 EDT 2015

 		  COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

DATE:		FRIDAY, MAY 1, 2015
TIME:		12:00 Noon
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 124  (Stata Center)
 		[32 Vassar Street]

 	Pizza and beverages will be provided at 11:45 AM outside Room 124.

TITLE:		Bridging the Gap Between Data and Insight Using Open-Source Tools

SPEAKER:	NICHOLAS ARCOLANO  (RunKeeper)

ABSTRACT:

Despite the proliferation of open-source tools for analysis (such as
Python and R) and those used for visualization (such as Javascript / D3),
there often exist significant gaps between these areas, and those of us
trying to navigate the complete arc from data to insight can encounter
many obstacles along the way.  Fortunately, in recent years there have
been many efforts to fill these needs, and today distilling a meaningful
visualization from raw data is faster and easier than ever before.

In this talk we will use will use examples in geospatial analysis and
visualization to illustrate how to open-source tools like Python,
geopandas, and TileMill work together. Using examples from the RunKeeper
mobile app we will show how we currently use these tools to understand
better our customers and their data, and to communicate with our
colleagues, external partners, and the data community at large.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For more information about the 'Computational Research in Boston and
Beyond Seminar' (CRIBB), please visit...

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib/