[Crib-list] SPEAKER: Amanda Randles (LLNL) -- Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar (CRIBB) - Friday, Nov. 7, 2014 -- 12:00 Noon in Building 32, Room 141

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Tue Nov 4 18:11:09 EST 2014

 		    COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

DATE:		FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 7, 2014
TIME:		12:00 Noon
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 141 (Stata Center)
 		(32 Vassar Street)

 	Pizza and beverages will be provided at 11:45 AM outside Room 32-141.

TITLE:		Massively Parallel Simulations of Patient-Specific Hemodynamics

SPEAKER:	AMANDA RANDLES  (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)

ABSTRACT:

The recognition of the role hemodynamic forces have in the localization
and development of disease has motivated large-scale efforts to enable
patient-specific simulations. When combined with computational approaches
that can extend the models to include physiologically accurate hematocrit
levels in large regions of the circulatory system, these image-based
models yield insight into the underlying mechanisms driving disease
progression and inform surgical planning or the design of next generation
drug delivery systems. Building a detailed, realistic model of human blood
flow is a formidable mathematical and computational challenge requiring
large-scale fluid models as well as explicit models of suspended bodies
like red blood cells. This will require high resolution modeling of cells
in the blood stream, and necessitate significant computational advances.
To date, we have efficiently scaled our algorithms to run on up to 294,912
processors and are working to extend this scalability to allow the study
of large regions of the circulatory system. Building on HARVEY, a parallel
fluid dynamics application designed to model hemodynamics in
patient-specific geometries, we are working to further validate the
results through rigorous comparison with in vivo and in vitro
measurements. We are also working to expand the scope of projects to
address not only vascular diseases, but also treatment planning and the
movement of circulating tumor cells in the bloodstream. In close
collaboration with researchers and physicians at the Dana-Farber Cancer
Institute and Brigham and Women's Hospital, we are establishing a
mathematical framework that can have direct impact on patient care. In
this talk, I will discuss the fluid model and provide an overview of some
of the optimization methods employed to achieve highly efficient scaling
on the Blue Gene/Q supercomputer. I will discuss a few examples of
applications of the code.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

FOr more information about the CRIBB Seminar, please visit...

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib/