[Crib-list] Fwd: [Cce_announce] FW: Reminder: SIAM-CCE Seminar, TODAY, 4 PM, 56-114 (fwd)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Thu Dec 4 11:09:26 EST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Kate Nelson" <kpnelson at mit.edu>
Date: Dec 4, 2014 9:10 AM
Subject: [Cce_announce] FW: Reminder: SIAM-CCE Seminar, TODAY, 4 PM, 56-114
To: "cce_announce at mit.edu" <cce_announce at mit.edu>

   ------------------------------

*MIT SIAM-CCE SEMINAR SERIES*

*Title:* Continuous analogues of matrix factorizations

*Speaker:* Alex Townsend, MIT Applied Math Instructor

*Date:* TODAY, December 4th

*Time:* 4:00 PM

*Place:* Room 56-114

*Abstract:*

A fundamental idea in matrix linear algebra is the factorization of a
matrix into simpler matrices, such as orthogonal, tridiagonal, and
triangular. In this talk we extend this idea to a continuous setting,
asking: "What are the continuous analogues of matrix factorizations?" The
answer we develop involves functions of two variables, an iterative variant
of Gaussian elimination, and sufficient conditions for convergence. This
leads to a test for non-negative definite kernels, a continuous definition
of a triangular quasimatrix (a matrix whose columns are functions), and a
fresh perspective on a classic subject.