[Crib-list] TODAY: Speaker: JOHN ZUHONE (NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center) -- Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar (CRIBB) -- Friday, Oct. 4th -- TIME: 12:00 Noon in Bldg. 32, Rm. 141 (Stata Center)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Oct 4 10:00:08 EDT 2013

T O D A Y . .

 		   COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

DATE:		FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4, 2013
TIME:		12:00 Noon
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 141  (Stata Center)
 		32 Vassar Street
 		MAP:  http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=32

Pizza and beverages will be provided at 11:45 AM outside Room 32-141.

TITLE:		Applications of Advanced Numerical Simulations and
 		Analysis in Theoretical Astrophysics

SPEAKER:	JOHN ZuHONE  (NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center)

ABSTRACT:

Recent years have seen an explosion in the use of numerical simulations in
theoretical astrophysics.  This has been facilitated by the growth in size
and availability of both high-performance computing hardware and advanced
software targeted for astrophysical applications.  I will discuss some of
these applications as they relate to my area of research, particularly with
regard to the comparison of simulation outputs with real observations. In
this vein, I will also discuss the advanced analysis and visualization
toolkit yt, which is capable of carrying out a variety of analysis tasks for
a number of astrophysical simulation codes.  I will discuss the unique
philosophy of yt, demonstrate several of its capabilities, and possible
applications beyond astrophysics.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For more information, please visit...