[Crib-list] Speaker: BREE ALDRIDGE (Tufts Univ.) : Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar : Friday, Sept. 6, 2013 : TIME: 12:00 Noon : Building 32, Room 141

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Aug 30 17:45:03 EDT 2013

 		  COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND Seminar

DATE:		FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2013
TIME:		12:00 Noon
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 141  (Stata Center)
 		32 Vassar Street, Cambridge

Pizza and beverages will be provided at 11:45 AM outside Room 32-141.

TITLE:		Understanding the Richness of Single Cell Phenotype through
 		Measurement and Modeling

SPEAKER:	BREE ALDRIDGE, PhD
 		Tufts University
 		Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
 		Department of Biomedical Engineering

ABSTRACT:

A combination of several subtle changes in protein concentration or
modification can create remarkable phenotypic differences among cells.
In this talk, I will explore both top down and bottom up approaches that
couple single cell measurement with mathematical modeling to uncover the
diversity of cell behaviors.  I will focus on the host-pathogen
interactions that cause tuberculosis.  Mycobacterium tuberculosis infects
billions of people worldwide and kills more than 1.5 million per year.
The variable course of disease and treatment response suggests that
functionally heterogeneous populations of mycobacteria respond differently
to stress.  We use an integrated approach that includes live cell
microscopy, mechanistic modeling, phase-diagram analysis, and
pharmacodynamic modeling to develop a quantitative understanding of the
mechanisms that lead to mycobacterial drug tolerance and virulence.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For more information, please visit...

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib