[Crib-list] SPEAKER: Ashlee N. Ford Versypt (MIT) -- "Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar" -- Friday, April 5, 2013 -- TIME: 12:00 Noon in Building 32, Room 141

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Tue Apr 2 12:26:37 EDT 2013

 		   COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND Seminar

DATE:		Friday, April 5, 2013
TIME:		12:00 Noon
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 141 (Stata Center)
 		32 Vassar Street, Cambridge

(Pizza provided at 11:45 AM outside Room 32-141.)

SPEAKER:	Ashlee N. Ford Versypt  (M.I.T.)

TITLE:		Mathematical Modeling of Pharmaceuticals:
 		Predictive Design for Better Medicines

ABSTRACT:

Smart designs of drug molecules and pharmaceutical formulations can target
treatments to specific tissues, reduce side effects, and improve patient
quality of care. Computational models for evaluating pharmaceutical
formulations can narrow the range of experiments needed to identify
successful designs by predicting performance and thus reducing the
development time and driving down costs. Models coupled with sophisticated
process control strategies allow for careful monitoring of manufacturing
to reduce wasted materials and energy and to adhere to quality standards.
I will overview mathematical modeling efforts in several pharmaceutical
domains and will highlight work related to predicting drug release from
controlled-release formulations that administer medicine over extended
periods with a single dosage. I will show how coupled, nonlinear partial
differential equations can be used to capture the complex dynamic
interactions between simultaneous chemical reactions and mass transfer. I
will describe mathematical techniques that can be used to reduce the
system size from thousands of equations to just a few while retaining
resolution of the biodegradation of the pharmaceutical formulation that
strongly influences the drug release dynamics. These techniques can aid in
the design of new controlled-release formulations.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information, please visit...

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib/