[Crib-list] SPEAKER: MATTHEW HUBBELL (MIT-Lincoln Lab) -- Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar -- Friday, Nov. 2, 2012 -- TIME: 12:00 Noon in STATA - Building 32, Room 141

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Tue Oct 30 12:26:37 EDT 2012

 			COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

DATE:		FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 2012
TIME:		12:00 Noon
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 141  (Stata Center)

Pizza and beverages at 11:45 AM outside Room 32-141.

TITLE:		3D Game Monitoring System

SPEAKER:	MATTHEW HUBBELL  (MIT-Lincoln Lab)

ABSTRACT:

Obtaining situational awareness of network activity across an enterprise
presents unique visualization challenges.  IT analysts are required to
quickly gather and correlate large volumes of disparate data to identify
the existence of anomalous behavior.  This paper will show how the MIT
Lincoln Laboratory LLGrid Team has approached obtaining network
situational awareness utilizing the Unity 3D video game engine.  We have
developed a 3D environment of the physical plant in the format of a
networked multi player First Person Shooter (FPS) to demonstrate a virtual
depiction of the current state of the network and the machines operating
on the network.  Within the game or virtual world an analyst or player can
gather critical information on all network assets as well as perform
physical system actions on machines in question. 3D gaming technology
provides tools to create an environment that is both visually familiar to
the player as well display immense amounts of system data in a meaningful
and easy to absorb format. Our prototype system was to able monitor and
display 5000 assets in ~10% of the time of our network time window.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For more information, please visit...

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib