[Crib-list] SPEAKER: NORMAN YAO (Harvard University) -- Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar (CRIBB) -- Friday, April 6, 2012 -- TIME: 12:00 Noon in Building 32, Room 124

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Tue Apr 3 10:44:34 EDT 2012

 		  COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

DATE:		FRIDAY, APRIL 6, 2012
TIME:		12:00 NOON
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 124   (Stata Center)

Pizza and beverages will be provided at 11:45 AM outside Room 32-124

TITLE:		Room-temperature Quantum Computing with Diamond Defects

SPEAKER:	NORMAN YAO  (Harvard University)

ABSTRACT:

The realization of a scalable quantum information processor has emerged
over the past decade as one of the central challenges at the interface of
fundamental science and engineering.  In this talk, I will describe an
architecture for a scalable, solid-state quantum information processor
capable of operating at room temperature.  I will begin with a review of
quantum computation that focuses on the interplay between speedup,
decoherence and fault-tolerance.  I will then describe our specific
approach, which is based upon recent experimental advances involving
Nitrogen-Vacancy color centers in diamond.  In particular, we demonstrate
that the multiple challenges associated with operation at ambient
temperature, individual addressing at the nanoscale, strong qubit
coupling, robustness against disorder and low decoherence rates can be
simultaneously achieved under realistic, experimentally relevant
conditions.  The architecture uses a novel approach to spin-chain based
quantum information transfer and includes a hierarchy of control at
successive length scales.

Joint work with: L. Jiang, A. V. Gorshkov, P. C. Maurer, G. Giedke, J. I.
Cirac, M. D. Lukin.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For more information, please visit...