[Crib-list] Speaker: Bradley C. Kuszmaul (M.I.T.) -- Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar (CRIBB) -- Friday, November 4, 2011 -- TIME: 12:30 PM in Room 32-141 (Stata Bldg.)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Tue Nov 1 17:37:39 EDT 2011

 		   COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND Seminar

DATE:		Friday, November 4, 2011
TIME:		12:30 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 141

Pizza and beverages will be provided at 12:15 PM outside Room 32-141.

TITLE:		How Fractal Trees Work

SPEAKER:	Bradley C. Kuszmaul  (M.I.T.)

ABSTARCT:

Most storage systems employ B-trees to achieve a good tradeoff between
the ability to update data quickly and to search it quickly.  It turns
out that B-trees are far from the optimimum in this tradeoff space.
I'll talk about Fractal Tree indexes, which were developed in a
collaboration between MIT, Stony Brook, and Rutgers.  I'll talk about
how they work, and what their performance bounds are.  My startup,
Tokutek, is commercializing fractal tree indexes as part of a MySQL
storage engine.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA  02139

For more information, please visit...