[Crib-list] TODAY: Speaker: MICHAEL STONEBRAKER (MIT) -- Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar -- Friday, May 6, 2011 -- TIME: 12:30 PM in Building 32, Room 144 (Stata Center) (fwd)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri May 6 09:11:03 EDT 2011

T O D A Y . . .

 	COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

DATE:		FRIDAY, MAY 6, 2011
TIME:		12:30 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 144  (Stata Center)

(Pizza and beverages will be provided at 12:15 PM outside Room 32-144.)

TITLE:		SciDB: A DBMS Oriented Toward Scientific Needs

SPEAKER:	MICHAEL STONEBRAKER  (MIT)

ABSTRACT:

SciDB is an open-source DBMS oriented toward the data management needs of
scientists.  As such it mixes statistical and linear algebra operations with
data management ones, using a natural nested multi-dimensional array data
model.  We have been working on the code for two years, most recently with the
help of venture capital backing.  A preliminary version of the system (V 0.75)
is currently downloadable from our web site (SciDB.org), and Version 1.0 is
imminent.

This talk presents the main components of SciDB.  As such, it focuses on our
high-level, SQL-like query language, the issues facing our query optimizer and
executor and efficient storage management for arrays.  The paper also discusses
implementation of features not usually present in DBMSs, including version
control, uncertainty and provenance.  Lastly, we briefly discuss our
integration with R.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For more information, please visit...