[Crib-list] Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar (CRIBB) -- Friday, October 1, 2010 -- 12:30 PM -- Room 32-124

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Tue Sep 28 16:18:36 EDT 2010

 	COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND Seminar

DATE:		Friday, October 1, 2010
TIME:		12:30 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 124  (Stata Center)

(Pizza and beverages will be provided at 12:10 PM outside Room 32-124.)

TITLE:		Compromised Computihg:  The Practical Approach to Energy
 		Efficient System Design

SPEAKER:	ANDREAS OLOFSSON  (Adapteva, Inc.)

ABSTRACT:

The last 40 years has seen incredible improvements in computing
performance, power efficiency, density and cost.  Unfortunately, it looks
like the free ride is over and we are now faced with some serious issues
to keep this trend going.  Single-threaded performance stopped scaling
years ago and chip designers are now having serious power issues as
process technology scales to 28nm and beyond.  As an industry we are now
faced with a tough choice. Do we continue with the traditional programming
model for high performance applications and accept the fact that the
processing budget will be strictly limited by our battery/electricity
budget or do we adopt a radical new programming model that would allow us
to significantly reduce the hardware overhead associated with traditional
Von Neumann architectures.  We present a "compromised computing" approach
to the problem, which combines a new C-programmable floating point math
accelerator with traditional silicon architectures to enable real
applications with an immediate order of magnitude better energy
efficiency.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For more information, please visit....