[Crib-list] TODAY: Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar (CRIBB) -- SPEAKER: James Reaney (BlueArc Corporation)-- Friday, Oct. 8, 2010 -- TIME: 12:30 PM in Room 32-124 (Stata Center) (fwd)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Oct 8 10:17:24 EDT 2010

DATE:		Friday, October 8, 2010
TIME:		12:30 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 124 -- Stata Center (32 Vassar Street)

Pizza provided at 12:10 PM outside Room 32-124

TITLE:		Parallel filesystems: A Vendor Perspective on
 		Open vs. Closed Choices and Why We Should Care.

SPEAKER:	James Reaney  (BlueArc Corporation)

ABSTRACT:

Filesystems for research computing come in two basic flavors today:
proprietary parallel filesystems and the more open, usually distributed,
but not really parallel filesystem alternatives.  The storage industry
will soon enter a new era as pNFS-based filesystems merge these two
flavors in an attempt to get the best of both worlds:  true parallel I/O
at massive scales together with an open, interoperable standard.  Join
Dr. James Reaney of BlueArc as he examines the current state of parallel
filesystems and gives a retrospective on a few of the early distributed
network filesystems to see what lessons can be learned.  An overview of
the upcoming pNFS standard will be offered together with a preview of
BlueArc's filesystem plans in support of that standard.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For more information, please visit...

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib