[Crib-list] Computational Research in Boston Seminar (CRiB) -- Friday, May 21, 2010 -- TIME: 12:30 PM in Building 56, Room 154.

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Wed May 19 15:25:21 EDT 2010

		COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON SEMINAR

NOTE:  Different Building and Room for talk...

DATE:		Friday, May 21, 2010
TIME:		12:30 PM
LOCATION:	Building 56, Room 154

(Pizza and beverages will be provided at 12:15 PM outside Room 56-154.)

TITLE: 		Computing Casimir Forces in Arbitrary Geometries
		in the Time Domain

SPEAKER:	Alejandro Rodriguez-Wong (MIT)

ABSTRACT:

Casimir forces arise due to vaccum fluctuations of the electromagnetic
field and are believed to play a role in the physics of
micro-electromechanical systems. I will describe a computational approach
to computing Casimir forces in arbitrary geometries that exploits standard
techniques from classical electromagnetism. I will describe the conceptual
development of a time-domain method that allows researchers to employ free
and of-the-shelf finite-difference time-domain codes without requiring any
modification. I finish by providing examples of the kinds of effects that
can arise in complicated structures, which we study using our numerical
methods.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA  02139

For more information about the CRiB Seminars, please visit....

		http://math.mit.edu/crib