[Crib-list] SPEAKER: Eng Lim GOH (Silicon Graphic International) -- Friday, 12/04/2009 -- 12:30 PM in Room 32-144 (Stata Center) (fwd)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Dec 4 10:35:29 EST 2009

T O D A Y . . .

		     COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON SEMINAR

DATE:		Friday, DECEMBER 4, 2009
TIME:		12:30 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 144 (Stata Center)

Pizza and beverages will be provided at 12:15 PM outside Room 32-144.

TITLE:		Petascale Application:
		"When Processors Spend More Time Talking Than Working"

SPEAKER:	ENG LIM GOH  (Silicon Graphic International)

ABSTRACT:

Our industry has moved from the era of regular clock speed improvements to
the new many-core era.  This is a fundamental enough change that even
consumer PC users and applications will need to adapt.  This talk focuses
on the implications for high performance computing and in particular on
how general-purpose petascale to exascale applications can be achieved
productively within the next decade.

Overall application examples elaborated in this talk include:

-	Space: from star formation to black hole evaporation

-	Our Earth: from simulation of Climate, Hurricane, Tornado,
	Earthquake to Tsunami

-	Green Technologies: from fuel cell, wind turbine to "Fusion for
	Energy" reactor design

-	Engineering: from jetliner, Formula 1 car to high-tech swimsuit
	design

-	Entertainment: from movies to television

-	The Web: from Amazon, eBay, Facebook, Google to Microsoft

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA  02139

		For more information, please visit...

		   http://math.mit.edu/crib/09