[Crib-list] Friday, Sept. 7, 2007 -- COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON SEMINAR

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Tue Sep 4 10:28:33 EDT 2007

 		COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON SEMINAR

DATE:		FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2007
TIME:		12:30 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 155 (Stata Center)

(Pizza and beverages will be provided at 12:15 PM outside Room 32-155.)

Topic:		KINETICS AND THERMODYNAMICS OF MATERIALS FROM
 		FIRST-PRINCIPLES MOLECULAR DYNAMICS

Speaker:	BRANDON WOOD (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)

ABSTRACT:

In recent years, advances in hardware technology and software methodology
have prompted the emergence of new computational approaches, including
first-principles molecular dynamics, as a unique new toolset for
understanding properties of complex materials.  First-principles
techniques rely on quantum-mechanical calculations and are truly
predictive, requiring no experimental input.  This makes them ideally
suited for probing atomistic behavior in a wide variety of chemical and
physical environments.

In this talk, I will showcase some of the ways first-principles molecular
dynamics can be used to illuminate the interplay between various kinetic
processes and thermodynamic factors in solids.  By drawing examples from
materials of current technological interest, I will explore how
computational techniques can reach beyond experiments to unravel the
complex pathways and mechanisms that underlie structural phase transitions
and rapid diffusion of ionic species.  I will also demonstrate how
molecular dynamics can be combined with various statistical approaches to
offer information about the relevant timescales and kinetics of
microscopic dynamical events.  Finally, I will discuss some novel ways in
which thermodynamic information can be extracted from microscopic particle
trajectories, and how such information can be used to reinterpret
experimental data and understand macroscopic phenomena.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA  02139

http://www-math.mit.edu/crib
For information on CRiB, contact: