[Crib-list] SPEAKER: Michael Driscoll (Boston University) -- COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON SEMINAR --Friday, 12/01/2006 --

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Dec 1 10:33:59 EST 2006

T O D A Y ...

 		COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON SEMINAR

DATE:		FRIDAY, DECEMBER 1, 2006
TIME:		12:30 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 144 (Stata Center)

Pizza and beverages will be provided at 12:15 PM.

Title:		INFERENCE OF A GENOME-WIDE REGULATORY NETWORK FOR THE
 		METAL-BREATHING MICROBE SHEWANELLA ONEIDENSIS MR-1

Speaker:	MICHAEL DRISCOLL (Boston University)

ABSTRACT:

Shewanella oneidensis MR-1 is an environmentally ubiquitous, metabolically
versatile microbe with a broad capacity for the reduction of metals.
Shewanella's ability to shuttle electrons onto metals -- including arsenic and
uranium -- has made it a leading candidate for use in microbial fuel cells,
environmental remediation, and biologically-based sensors.  Though the
Shewanella genome has been sequenced and many of the enzymes involved in
electron transport have been identified, little is known about how this
metabolic machinery is regulated.  To this end, we have designed the first
Affymetrix microarray for this organism, to observe and its model global gene
expression.  We have profiled gene expression in hundreds of environmental
conditions using a fractional factorial experimental design, varying nutrients,
metallic species, and other factors within known physiological ranges.  We have
used this expression data to infer the first genome-wide regulatory model for
Shewanella, and make testable predictions about how we might optimize this
bacteria for metal reduction in real-world applications.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA  02139
http://www-math.mit.edu/crib

For information on CRiB, contact: