[Crib-list] [Fwd: TALK:Thursday 5-19-05 Universal Mechanism Design] (fwd)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Tue May 17 13:30:41 EDT 2005

Theory Seminar: Universal Mechanism Design
Speaker: Silvio Micali
Speaker Affiliation: MIT
Host: Shafi Goldwasser
Host Affiliation: MIT

Date: 5-19-2005
Time: 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM
Refreshments: 4:00 PM
Location: 32-G449 (Patil/Kiva)

Mechanism Design applies to many a context, including allocations of private
goods, provisions of public goods, design of markets, voting procedures, social
planning, etc. Mechanism design problems, however, are typically solved
individually, each time with much ingenuity.

We exhibit an automatic, polynomial-time procedure that, given ANY mechanism
design problem, finds a solution, if one exists.

Key to our result is proving that the ballot-box, the device used all over the
world for privately and correctly computing the tally function, can actually be
used to compute ANY function with unusually strong security properties.

Joint work with Sergei Izmalkov and Matt Lepinski

Relevant URL(S): http://theory.csail.mit.edu/toc-seminars/2005/
For more information please contact: Shafi Goldwasser, ,
shafi at theory.csail.mit.edu