[Crib-list] CRiB -- Friday, May 6, 2005 (Building 4, Room 231 @12:30 PM)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Thu May 5 12:53:44 EDT 2005

Tomorrow...

COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH IN BOSTON SEMINAR

DATE:  		FRIDAY, MAY 6, 2005
TIME:  		12:30 PM
LOCATION:  	Building 4, Room 231  (NOTE:  different location)

(Pizza and beverages will be provided.)

TOPIC:		STOCHASTIC COMPUTATION AND APPLICATIONS
  		TO STATISTICAL SIGNAL PROCESSING

SPEAKER:	PATRICK WOLFE
  		Harvard University

ABSTRACT:

Many problems arising in science and engineering are effectively ones of
statistical inference, and in all but the simplest cases the associated
models may not admit analytical solutions.  In this talk, I will describe
simulation-based Monte Carlo methods for inference, in particular two
important classes of algorithms for stochastic computation: a batch
methodology known as Markov chain Monte Carlo and an on-line one termed
sequential Monte Carlo. Many interpretations are possible, but I shall
frame my discussion in terms of the Bayesian paradigm, whereby all
inference stems from a description of the (posterior) probability
distribution associated with a given model after having observed the data
in question.  I will illustrate these simulation methodologies with
examples of my own research into statistical audio signal processing, in
which case they are used to obtain point estimates of salient parameters.
This application area is not only interesting and important in its own
right, but also provides a convenient test bed for more generally
applicable techniques of time series modeling.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Mathematics
Cambridge, MA  02139

http://www-math.mit.edu/crib