[Crib-list] Computational Research in Boston Seminar -- Friday, April 1, 2005

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Apr 1 09:44:08 EST 2005

 	TODAY...

 			COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH IN BOSTON SEMINAR

DATE:  		Friday, April 1, 2005
LOCATION:  	Building 32, Room 124 (Stata Center)
TIME:  		12:30 PM

(Pizza and beverages will be provided)

TOPIC:		FFTW: The "Fastest Fourier Transform in the West"

SPEAKER:	Steven G. Johnson
  		Massachusetts Institute of Technology

ABSTRACT:

Fast Fourier transforms (FFTs) lie at the heart of many problems in scientific
computing and engineering, from spectral methods for partial differential
equations, to digital signal processing, to large-number arithmetic for
cryptography.  However, despite nearly 40 years of scrutiny, they have proved
surprisingly resistant to efficient implementation -- FFTs never achieve the
peak CPU speed except for very small problems, and their historical performance
has doubled every ~30 months over 40 years, considerably slower than Moore's
18-month doubling time followed by peak CPU throughput.

In this talk, we outline the historical progression of the understanding of
fast Fourier transforms and their implementation, from Gauss in 1805 to
Danielson and Lanczos in 1942 to the digital age that dawned with Cooley and
Tukey in 1965, to our recent developments of self-optimizing, auto-generated
FFTs at MIT.  For much of the FFT's history, the focus was on minimizing the
number of arithmetic operations, from Cooley and Tukey's erroneous assertion
that radix 3 was optimal to Winograd's demonstration that only O(N)
multiplications were required for an FFT of length N. Unfortunately, modern
architectures have divorced performance from simple heuristics like operation
counts, and the past strategies no longer succeed; the question of the fastest
algorithm, therefore, has had an ever-changing answer that is increasingly
difficult to predict.  Instead, we believe that a more stable solution may be
possible by changing the question: instead of asking what is the best
algorithm, one should ask what is the smallest collection of simple algorithmic
fragments whose compositions span the optimal algorithm on as many computer
architectures as possible.  We describe an implementation of this
strategy---combining self-optimization, code generation, and recursive
cache-oblivious algorithms---in the context of FFTW, our free and widely used
fast Fourier transform (FFT) library (www.fftw.org).

DATE:  		Friday, April 1, 2005