[config-package-dev] config-package-dev 5.2 for review

Geoffrey Thomas geofft at ldpreload.com
Sat Jul 1 13:10:27 EDT 2017

I've uploaded 5.2. Replies inline:

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017, Jonathan Reed wrote:

> (re-sending is simpler than trying to remember how to use mailman)
>
> It looks reasonable from a functionality point of view, though I'm
> confused about (the new) line 63 in check-files.mk.  In the event of a
> local diversion, the package name is set to "x" -- is that just a
> placeholder, or is its value checked anywhere?

It's a placeholder to avoid [ -n "$(package)" ] on line 65 from returning
false. Since in line 69 we stop doing all checks anyway, it's not used
anywhere.

This could be refactored to be generally clearer but I think minimal
changes to the CDBS codebase is the right plan.

> A use case for the local diversion might be useful to document in the
> man page, but I still don't fully understand the one offered with the
> patch in the first place (though I admit to mostly skimming that
> thread).

I added some docs, mostly saying that the use case was rare. Also, while I
was there, I noticed the manpage didn't say anything about how we do a
dpkg -S + md5sums check in the normal case, so I documented that.

Thanks for the review!

--
Geoffrey Thomas
https://ldpreload.com