[config-package-dev] Can't transform sshd_config because it's not shipped by any package

Lukas Anzinger l.anzinger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 08:33:49 EST 2013

Hi,

first of all, I want to thank you for your great debhelper
integration. It makes using config-package-dev a breeze.

However, I've stumbled upon some sort of shortcoming when I wanted to
transform /etc/ssh/sshd_config. This file is generated by
openssh-server in its postinst script and thus not marked as a
conffile in terms of dpkg. While I can displace the file, when I want
to transform it I always run into the following error:

$ dpkg-buildpackage -b
[...]
   dh_configpackage
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /etc/ssh/sshd_config
/etc/ssh/sshd_config is not owned by any package
make: *** [binary] Error 255
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2

For reference, I used the following transform file

$ cat foo-ssh-config.transform
/etc/ssh/sshd_config.foo sed -e '/PasswordAuthentication/ s/yes/no/'

openssh-server is installed on the build machine so the file exists.

Regards,

Lukas