[config-package-dev] config-package-dev 5.0 released, with Debhelper support

Geoffrey Thomas geofft at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 16 21:24:36 EDT 2013

I'm happy to announce the release of config-package-dev 5.0, featuring
Debhelper support and a Debhelper 7 sequencer extension. Most simple
packages can just have a short-style rules file with a call to "dh $@
--with=config-package", and configuration in debian/*.displace etc. This
should significantly simplify the experience around learning
config-package-dev and understanding simple rules files, as the syntax is
cleaner and more in line with Debian packaging trends.

Packages are available in Debian unstable and Ubuntu raring, and also in
the Debathena apt repository for all currently-supported releases. (I've
filed a backport request for previous Ubuntu releases.) Documentation is
provided at
   http://debathena.mit.edu/config-package-dev
and in the dh_configpackage manpage.

This release introduces a change in the terminology used by the system --
our "divert" operation is now "displace", to avoid confusion with raw
dpkg-divert, and our "remove" operation is now "hide". New CDBS uses
should use DEB_DISPLACE_FILES, etc., but DEB_DIVERT_FILES should continue
to work. I'm planning on officially deprecating these at some point, but
not before all users that I currently know about have moved over. Still,
you should plan on migrating to the new names, and preferably to
Debhelper.

Also, from this point on, I'm going to use the config-package-dev mailing
list as the primary one for announcements, patches, discussion, etc. If
you're interested, please subscribe yourself or follow archives at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/config-package-dev

config-package-dev (5.0) unstable; urgency=low

   * Add Debhelper support (Debathena: #867) (Closes: #693672).  This
     release includes a new command, dh_configpackage, and a sequencer
     extension, dh --with config-package.
   * Use the terms "displace" and "hide" for actions of the
     config-package-dev system, instead of the terms "divert" and
     "remove", which already have existing (related) meanings in the
     context of Debian packages.
   * Move examples/* to examples/cdbs/*, and create examples/debhelper/*,
     with the same packages using Debhelper 7-style packaging.

   * Change config-package-dev's own packaging to Debhelper 7.
   * Bump Standards-Version to 3.9.4 (no changes required).
   * Update Vcs-Git and Vcs-Browser locations to new upstream.
   * Drop CDBS runtime dependency. CDBS users should be explicitly
     Build-Depending on CDBS, probably through use of the @cdbs@ macro in
     debian/control.in.

  -- Geoffrey Thomas <geofft at mit.edu>  Wed, 06 Mar 2013 17:14:42 -0800

--