[ASA-Official] [CORRECTION- Midway Allocations] RE: Spring LEF/ARCADE Allocations | Midway Information | Thank you for your suggestions!

Stephanie Nunez Dominguez snunezdo at mit.edu
Tue Apr 9 13:09:32 EDT 2019

Dear Student Group Leaders,

Please take note of the following announcements:

1. Spring LEF/ARCADE Allocations

2. *CPW Midway Booth Allocations [Updated Allocations Link
<http://asa.mit.edu/publicity/midway_allocations_cpw_2019.pdf>*]

3. Late Midway Booth Applications

4. Thank you for your operating guidelines suggestions!

(1) Spring LEF/ARCADE Allocations

Allocations for spring LEF/ARCADE proposals are available on the ASA
website (scroll down to Allocations): <
http://web.mit.edu/asa/resources/large-events.html> We had significantly
more groups apply this semester than usual, so funding caps were decreased
to ensure that more events were covered. Groups that applied for funding
will be contacted separately about transferring funds to their accounts.

Please email <asa-treasurer at mit.edu> with any questions about your
allocation.

(2) *CPW Midway Booth Allocations [Updated Allocations Link]*

We apologize for the confusion earlier. Thank you for your quick responses
bringing our attention to the problem!

Here is the correct allocations document:
<*http://asa.mit.edu/publicity/midway_allocations_cpw_2019.pdf
<http://asa.mit.edu/publicity/midway_allocations_cpw_2019.pdf>>*.

This year’s CPW Activities Midway will be held on *Saturday, April 13th
from 1:00-3:00 PM* in the Johnson Ice Rink.

Sign-In and Setup

- Your group must sign in with the ASA when you arrive at the Midway.

- Groups can start check-in and setup as early as 12:00 PM.

- *Groups must check in by 12:30 PM*. Groups that are late may be fined $25
and will have to forfeit their table if there is a waitlist.

- Limit members at booths: groups must limit the number of persons at each
booth to 4. If your group has a half table, please limit your club
membership to 2. The ASA will make exceptions for performing groups who are
about to or have just performed.

- In order to keep walkways clear for fire safety reasons, groups are
required to stay within arms’ reach of their table at all times. - Do not
block any entrances or aisles or hand out flyers at the doorway.
Non-compliance may result in a $50 fine.

Cancelling

- If your group can no longer attend and/or perform at the Midway, please
let us know via email at <asa-midway at mit.edu> at least 24 hours in advance.
Groups that cancel after that point may be fined $50.

- Groups that don’t cancel by the time check-in starts will be fined up to
$75.

- Student groups that signed up for a Midway booth but are no-shows will be
fined up to $75 dollars.

General Setup

- Stay at/by your booth. No handing out flyers at the doorway, no blocking
the entrance or aisles, etc.

- If your booth is not staffed at any point during the 2-hour period, your
group may be fined up to $25.

- No external speakers. You may use laptop or other similarly quiet
speakers. This is to address numerous extreme noise complaints, allow
groups to be able to speak to interested individuals, and for performances
to be heard. ASA Board members may ask you to reduce the volume or turn off
sound on any speakers if it is causing problems for your neighbors or
performances.

- Groups that leave before the conclusion of the Midway without permission
from the ASA will incur a $75 fine.

- If your group is bringing large items, doing demonstrations, or using
electricity for anything other than laptops or other displays, make sure
you review the safety guidelines at <
https://ehs.mit.edu/site/content/types-events-activities-need-safety-plan>,
and, if necessary, send a description of your activity to <
safe-project at mit.edu> so they can suggest tips to improve safety.

Performances

- Due to the number of performing groups, each performer has up to 6
minutes for their set.

- Any music used for your performance should be non-explicit and
appropriately censored.

- You must submit your music to us by 11:59 PM EST on 4/12/19. A separate
email has been sent to student groups performing at the Midway with more
information about how to upload music for performances.

For more information, please visit <
http://web.mit.edu/asa/publicity/midway.html> or email us at <
asa-midway at mit.edu>.

(3) Late Midway Booth Applications

If you would like to submit a late application for a CPW Midway booth,
please fill out the form at <
https://engage.mit.edu/submitter/form/start/263316> by 11:45 PM on 4/12/19.
The ASA Midway team will check the form regularly in the days leading up to
the Midway, and will contact student groups individually when and if a
booth is assigned. If you are a new group and do not show up on the Engage
form, email <asa-midway at mit.edu> with your booth request.

Please feel free to email <asa-exec at mit.edu> with any requests, questions,
or other inquiries.

(4) Thank you for your operating guidelines suggestions!

Thank you for all of the suggestions presented at the General Body Meeting
this last week.  With regards to the proposed changes to the ASA governing
documents presented, the ASA board has appreciated the thoughtful responses
we have received. We greatly value all of the insight that was gathered.
With so many diverse student group types on campus, we can often overlook
ways in which guidelines might be practically applied. We are taking the
comments we have received into account and are in the process of drafting
new changes with the help of the UA and GSC boards.

We also understand that the circumstances under which the new changes were
first put forward were rushed and that many leaders were concerned that
this prevented them from formulating a response that accurately represented
the position of their group. To address this, we are also drafting changes
that would require changes to be made public a week before they are
discussed, to allow groups a chance to adequately assess how these changes
would affect them.

Please feel free to continue sending your thoughts and suggestions to
asa-exec at mit.edu. As a reminder, our weekly meetings are open to student
group leaders from 4-5 PM on Mondays in the UA Office. (Timing may change
next month - please reach out to us if you’re interested in attending.)

Please feel free to email <asa-exec at mit.edu> with any requests or questions.

Sincerely,

The ASA Executive Board

<http://web.mit.edu/asa/about/board-members.html>