[ASA-Official] New Group Recognition application cycle change; Recruitment Moratorium feedback

D.W. Rowlands rowlands at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 27 14:09:31 EDT 2012

Dear Student Group Leaders,

Please take note of the following announcements:

1. Change in the new group recognition cycle schedule -- September
applications now due 10/5
2. Recruitment moratorium feedback
3. Operating Guidelines correction

1. Change in the new group recognition cycle schedule

Please note that the group recognition schedule for the 2012-13 school
year has recently changed. The next deadline for group recognition
will be October 5 at 11:59pm (changed from September 16). Application
procedures can be seen at <http://web.mit.edu/asa/start/>.

The deadline has been delayed due to the cancellation of the December
recognition cycle. After the September/October cycle, the next
recognition cycle will be in February (replacing the usual March
recognition cycle). The normal twice-per-semester recognition cycle
schedule will return beginning in June 2013.

These changes are to allow the ASA time to conduct a comprehensive
review of the groups currently recognized, to ensure that every group
is active and in compliance with our policies.

If you have any questions or concerns about new group applications, or
about the changes in the recognition cycle schedule, please feel free
to email asa-groups at mit.edu.

2. Recruitment moratorium feedback

As with previous years, the ASA this year had recruitment rules that,
in short, forbade ASA-recognized groups from recruiting during the
three weeks leading up to the ASA Midway. (The full recruitment rules,
along with some potential updates for next year, are at
<http://web.mit.edu/asa/rules/recruitment-rules.html>.) As with the
last several years, this year we revised the rules to try to make them
clearer and easier to both understand and enforce. We would like to
get feedback from groups about these rules while moratorium is still
(relatively) fresh in your minds. Please fill out the survey at
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHA2N3l6TzRzQWdoQUVsc2dGNDViOEE6MQ>,
or email us your views.

3. Operating Guidelines correction

The Operating Guidelines,
<http://web.mit.edu/asa/rules/asa-guidelines.html>, have been amended
to correct the spelling of “Interfraternity Council”.

Please feel free to email asa-exec at mit.edu with any requests,
questions, or other inquiries.

Sincerely,
The ASA Executive Board