[ASA-Official] LEF-ARCADE Fall Deadline; Events Fair Tomorrow; W20 and Walker Holiday Closings

D.W. Rowlands rowlands at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 7 12:14:55 EST 2012

Dear Student Group Leaders,

Please take note of the following announcements:

(1) LEF-ARCADE Winter Application Deadline Set
(2) CAC Events Fair Tomorrow
(3) Student Center and Walker Memorial Holiday Closing Schedule
(4) Changes in ASA Executive Board Membership
(5) SAO Staff Changes

---------------------------------------

(1) LEF/ARCADE Deadline Sunday, 25 November 2012

The deadline to submit applications to the Large Event Fund (LEF) and
the Assisting Recurring Cultural And Diversity Events (ARCADE) fund is
Sunday, 25 November at 11:59 pm. This deadline is for events occurring
between 1 January 2013 and 31 March 2013. The application and more
information about the funds are available online:
<http://web.mit.edu/asa/resources/large-events.html>.

You are encouraged to meet with someone from the Student Activities
Office to discuss your application, particularly if it is for a new
event or you are making substantial changes to your event.  You can
contact Alana Hamlett (ahamlett at mit.edu) and Joel Pettigrew
(joelp at MIT.EDU) about scheduling an appointment.

You are also strongly encouraged to meet with the LEF/ARCADE board
members before submitting your application by scheduling an
appointment with us (contact the ASA Treasurer, asa-treasurer at mit.edu)
or visiting our office hours.  Office hours will generally be held
7:00pm - 8:00pm on Thursdays, but please check our online calendar,
<http://web.mit.edu/asa/about/office-hours.html>, for additional hours
and cancellations before coming.

---------------------------------------

(2) CAC Events Fair Tomorrow

Please note the following message from Dr. Jennifer Smith, Assistant
Director of CAC:

The Campus Activities Complex is once again hosting our annual MIT
Events Fair to showcase the Institute’s event logistical services! The
fair will be held on Thursday, November 8 from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm in
Stata Student Street (32). This year please join us to learn more
about services from:

Campus Activities Complex
Environment, Health, and Safety Office
MIT Parking and Transportation
Information Services and Technology
MIT Copy Tech
MIT Police
LaVerde’s Market Catering
MIT Media Lab
MIT Faculty Club & Catering
DAPER/MIT Recreation
MIT Endicott House
AMPS MIT Video Productions
MIT Museum
MIT Tech Catering
Subway
Bon Appetit Catering
MIT Audio Visual Services
MIT Events and Information Center
Anna’s Taqueria Catering

Representatives from each organization will be on hand to answer any
of your event planning and logistics questions.

Pick up your copy of the new MIT Event Planning Guide, 2012 – 2014!

---------------------------------------

(3) Student Center and Walker Memorial Holiday Closing Schedule

As usual, CAC will be closing their buildings--including the Student
Center and Walker Memorial--for several days over the Thanksgiving,
Christmas, and New Year's holidays.

The buildings affected are W20, W16, W15, W11, and 50.

The scheduled dates for these closings are:

  11:00pm on Wednesday, 21 November --- 7:00am on Saturday, 24 November
  11:30pm on Friday, 21 December --- 6:30am on Wednesday, 26 December
  11:30pm on Friday, 28 December --- 6:30am on Wednesday, 2 January

---------------------------------------

(4) Changes in ASA Executive Board Membership

Elections were held at the Fall GBM several weeks ago to fill
vacancies in the positions of Graduate Member-at-Large and
Student-Member-at-Large.  The new membership of the ASA Executive
Board is:

President:
  Kuljot Singh Anand (anandk)
Treasurer:
  D.W. Rowlands (rowlands)
Secretary:
  Benjamin Lehnert (blehnert)
Graduate Members-at-Large:
  Alex Dehnert (adehnert)
  Emily Moberg (emoberg)
Undergraduate Members-at-Large:
  Rachel Keeler (rhkeeler)
  Cory Hernandez (cdh2014)
Student Member-at-Large:
  Emily Salvador (emilysa)
UA Representative:
  Jacobi Vaughn (jvaughn)
GSC Representative:
  vacant (being appointed by GSC)

---------------------------------------

(5) SAO Staff Changes

Please note the following message from Leah Flynn, Director of SAO:

I am pleased to announce that Joel Pettigrew, SAO's newest Program
Coordinator for Student Activities and Event Management, will start at
MIT next Monday. Joel received his undergraduate degree from Texas A&M
University, and his Master's Degree in Higher Education from Ohio
State University. He was the Program Coordinator and Resident Director
for Diversity and Global Engagement at the College of Wooster, and is
extremely excited to start with the SAO staff in a week.

Please join me in welcoming Joel to campus; he will be responsible for
advising groups such as the Class Councils, the Events Committee,
organizing HallowMIT, assisting with Charm School, and helping with
other large scale campus events.

Please feel free to email asa-exec at mit.edu with any requests,
questions, or other inquiries.

Sincerely,