[ASA-Official] ASA Fall Activities Midway; New Recruitment Rules; FYSM Update

Rachel Keeler rhkeeler at MIT.EDU
Sun Jul 29 15:57:10 EDT 2012

Dear Student Group Officers,

Please take note of the following announcements:

1. ASA Fall Activities Midway -- due August 1
2. New Recruitment Rules
3. ASA First Year Summer Mailing

1. ASA Fall Activities Midway -- due August 1

The ASA Activities Midway will take place in the Johnson Athletics
Center from 3-5pm on August 31. Please submit your applications for a
booth promptly. We will likely be unable to grant late requests, as
the fall Midway is always oversubscribed. The deadline for
consideration is 11:59 pm on August 1; after this, we will start a
waitlist for groups who did not apply in time.

Groups who receive a table assignment will be expected to arrive on
time and stay at the Midway for its entire duration, or they will be
fined. Groups that have not checked in by 2:40pm will forfeit their
table assignment to groups on the waitlist. Individuals who have
received an ASA-sponsored early return must attend the Midway or you
will be required to pay for your return.

Note that this year, club sports are ineligible for the first round of
consideration. Space at the Midway is highly oversubscribed, and there
is another Orientation event dedicated to sports (the Athletics
Gateway on Wednesday afternoon). However, club sports can ask to be
added to the waitlist in August.

More information and the request form for table space and performance
slots are at: http://asa.scripts.mit.edu/applications/midway/midway.php
.

Please email asa-midway at mit.edu with any Midway-specific questions or
concerns. Again, requests are due by Wednesday, August 1, at 11:59 pm.

2. New Recruitment Rules

The recruitment rules for 2012 have been released on the website:
http://web.mit.edu/asa/rules/recruitment-rules.html. Although the
"Spring through Summer" rules remain unchanged, the rest has been
almost completely rewritten since last year.

The Moratorium rules have been largely replaced with a simple "During
the Moratorium, groups may not recruit". As the rules say, determining
whether something is "recruiting" is a holistic process, but the main
rules page and the linked examples page provide some information on
how we are likely to make that judgement. We encourage groups to ask
us in advance for rulings on whether things they are considering doing
would be "recruiting". The Moratorium this year will run from August
10 to August 31.

In addition, we remind groups that the "Spring through Summer" portion
of the rules applies now: "New students may only be contacted if they
have previously provided their contact information (such as at the CPW
Activities Midway) or if they initiate contact with a group."

The FYSM postcards have been printed and will be mailed out this week.
Make sure to advertise your group to the Class of 2016 at
https://asa.mit.edu/fysm/submit/select/ as soon as possible.You can
also view the entries at https://asa.mit.edu/fysm/. There is a set
limit of 400 characters for each group’s entry (including spaces).
Please email asa-fysm at mit.edu with any questions or concerns about the
First Year Summer Mailing.

Please feel free to email asa-exec at mit.edu with any requests,
questions, or other inquiries.