[ASA-Official] CPW Midway; Spring GBM; Student Leader Awards; MIT150 Open House

Rachel E Meyer remeyer at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 17 03:49:54 EDT 2011

Subject: CPW Midway; Spring GBM; Student Leader Awards; MIT150 Open House

Dear Student Group Officers,

Please take note of the following announcements:

1. CPW Activities Midway request form available - due Thursday 3/31
2. Spring General Body Meeting - Tuesday 4/12 at 6pm
3. Student Leader Awards announcement
4. MIT150 Open House announcement

--------------------------------

1. CPW Activities Midway request form available - due Thursday 3/31

The ASA Activities Midway for CPW 2011 will be held on Saturday, April
9th, from 1-3pm in the Johnson Athletics Center.   The Activities Midway
is a great way to meet prefrosh and show off the breadth and depth of
student groups at MIT.

Please submit your requests promptly, as space in Johnson is limited. We
may be unable to grant late requests. In addition, groups that apply for a
table or performance slot and do not show up without letting us know in
advance will be fined.

More information and the request form for table space and/or a performance
time are at: http://mit.edu/asa/publicity/midway.html .  Requests are due
by Thursday, 3/31, at 11:59pm.

--------------------------------

2. Spring General Body Meeting - Tuesday 4/12 at 6pm

The Spring ASA General Body Meeting will be on Tuesday 4/12 at 6pm.

All groups are required to send a representative to this meeting.  GBMs
are the primary way for the ASA and student groups to communicate in
person and serve as an opportunity for groups to check-in with ASA and
vice-versa.  Groups that do not send a representative may face
consequences including but not limited to warnings, fines, resource
restrictions, and derecognition for inactivity.

An agenda, location, and additional information will be sent out in later
emails; however, the main item of business will be elections for the
2011-2012 ASA Executive Board.  Information about elections is posted at
http://mit.edu/asa/about/elections.html and additional details will be
announced as they are set.

Note: club sports and FSILGs are excused from this meeting as long as
their respective governing organization attends; however these groups are
eligible to receive a vote if they send a representative.

--------------------------------

3. Student Leader Awards announcement

The Student Activities Office would like to make the following
announcement to student groups:

Please join us in celebrating the accomplishments of our student leaders
and student organizations - nominate for the Student Leader Awards!

  http://studentlife.mit.edu/sao/sla/awards

Nominations are now being accepted for the 10th annual Student Leader
Awards -- we accept nominations from staff, faculty, students, coaches,
and alumni.  These awards recognize individual student leaders as well as
student organizations, living groups, dorms, and teams.  They can be as
short (150 words) or as long (500 words) as you want -- it could take you
only 10 minutes to submit!  We encourage you to nominate as many groups
and students as you can/want.  Nominations are open until Wednesday, April
20th at 5pm.

Recipients will be celebrated during the Student Leader Awards celebration
on Friday, May 13th from 1pm to 3pm in Walker Memorial, Morss Hall.  Mark
your calendars now!

Want to get involved in other ways?

  1. Sponsor an Award!  We have currently partnered with the Association of
Student Activities and CopyTech to provide funding grants for two of the
SLA Awards.  We are looking for additional sponsors.
  2. Serve on the Selection Committee.  Interested in helping to choose the
winners?  Email sla-info at mit.edu
  3. Serve as a presenter during the Celebration on May 13th.  Email
sla-info at mit.edu
  4. Nominate!!!!  http://studentlife.mit.edu/sao/sla/awards

Have questions?  Please contact sla-info at mit.edu or aeerwin at mit.edu.

--------------------------------

4. MIT150 Open House announcement

MIT is planning a big Open House for Saturday, April 30 as part of its 150
Year Celebration.  MIT will open its doors to the general public and
guests from all over the country. Academic departments and labs, faculty
and staff will be showcasing many of the accomplishments that MIT has
achieved over its 150 years through special tours, events exhibits and
presentations.

In the Student Center, student organizations are invited to help showcase
student life. Will your group participate?

If your group would like to join in the celebration, please contact Noreen
Finn in the CAC at nfinn at mit.edu.  Ideas could include, but are certainly
not limited to, a musical number, a dance performance, a theater act, a
display, a demonstration, or an instructional activity. And it doesn't
have to be a lot of extra work - for example, perhaps you may want to do a
"repeat" performance of what you will perform for CPW.  However, please
note that the Open House is not to be confused with the Activities Midway
or an event where you will be recruiting prospective students. Rather,
it’s an event that will give your organization an opportunity for
student groups and activities to celebrate our student culture, diversity,
talents, and accomplishments showing who we are to the outside world.

Your group may prefer to host its own open house in your assigned group
space; or if you think you'll need additional space, just let us know and
we'll see what can be arranged. We don't want any interested group left
out, so contact us as soon as possible. This is a golden opportunity to
present your group to a very large audience while celebrating MIT's 150th
birthday.

Additionally, if you want to be involved on an individual basis, contact
us. An activity this size needs all the assistance we can get and we will
be delighted to put you to work!

Details:
The Open House will run from 11am to 4pm on Saturday, April 30, and spaces
in the Student Center are being currently scheduled for cultural, dance,
music, and theatrical performances as well as interactive activities,
exhibits and hands-on presentations:
- Sala, Lobdell and the Student Center Steps: Cultural, Musical and
Theatrical performances
- 1st floor: Exhibit on 'Student Life Through the Years - A Student
Perspective' with the GSC, The Tech, and Technique; Tours of Residence
Halls; Pictures with
Tim, the MIT Beaver; Building's food vendors will be open
- 3rd and 4th floors: Instructional and participatory sessions, games

If you're interested in getting involved, contact Noreen Finn as soon as
possible. If you have questions, please contact any of us.

Be part of an event that only happens every 150 years!

Thanks,

Leah Flynn, SAO (laflynn at mit.edu)
Christine Chen, UA (chen_c at mit.edu)
Rachel Meyer, ASA (remeyer at mit.edu)