[ASA-Official] ASA Recruitment Rules now in effect, Midway requests, SAO transitions

Rachel Meyer remeyer at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 12 21:00:56 EDT 2011

Dear Student Group Officers,

Please take note of the following announcements:

1.  ASA Recruitment Rules updated, Moratorium Periods now in effect
2.  Orientation Activities Midway - submit requests ASAP
3.  Transitions in SAO - from Kerri Mills, Assistant Director of Finance
4.  CAC Summer Newsletter
5.  SLOPE Events Changed
6.  New student group office lock policy

----------------------------------

1.  ASA Recruitment Rules updated, Moratorium Periods now in effect

The ASA Recruitment Rules Advertising and Events Moratorium Periods have
begun and are in effect until the Activities Midway on Friday, September
2nd.  Please read and follow these rules carefully:
http://mit.edu/asa/rules/recruitment-rules.html

Clarifications and some FAQs are posted at:
http://mit.edu/asa/rules/recruitment-rules-clarifications.html

If you have any questions or want clarification on any specific points or
situations contact us at asa-exec at mit.edu.

Summary of important points (you are also responsible for reading and
understanding the rules in their entirety):
A.  Incoming students may only be contacted if they have previously
provided their contact information to the group or if the incoming
student initiates contact
B.  No active collecting or soliciting information from new students
(such as taking sign-ups at an event)
C.  Disallowed advertising methods include:
   - inviting incoming students to join Facebook groups (except those who
can be contacted under the terms above)
   - mass emails (except those who can be contacted under the terms above)
   - handing out flyers before the ASA Midway
   - advertising in The Tech
   - using extremely limited reserved advertising spaces, including: Lobby
7 kiosks, Student Center reserved drop poster spaces, Infinite Corridor
reserved cases
D.  All events with any recruitment component are also disallowed until
after the Midway
E.  Groups may not hold open events that they would not ordinarily hold
during the rest of the year.
F.  For postering on public boards: one poster per group per board, no
larger than 8.5"x11", and not in violation of any other postering rules.
G.  All Publicity Guideline violations (such as postering violations) will
fined at triple the normal rate and fines may be given instead of warnings
for first offenses.
H.  Exemptions must be sought at least two weeks in advance or ASAP by
email to asa-exec at mit.edu

----------------------------------

2. Orientation Activities Midway requests - submit requests ASAP

Midway requests were due on Wednesday, however late requests will be
accepted.  Please try to submit them ASAP, so we can try to ensure we have
enough tables and so we can consider any location and neighbor preferences
when assigning spaces.

The Activities Midway is the primary fall recruiting event for ASA groups
and is a part of both undergraduate and graduate student Orientation.  The
fair will be held on Friday, September 2nd, from 4-6:30pm.  Groups can
requests booth space and performance time for this event.

More information and the request form are available at:
http://web.mit.edu/asa/publicity/midway.html

----------------------------------

3.  Transitions in SAO - from Kerri Mills, Assistant Director of Finance

I'm writing to let you know of a new opportunity at MIT that I have
accepted. It was a decision that I made with considerations of not just
improving my skills, but the prospect of involving more students in this
new career change. I will be leaving SAO effective August 19th and joining
the Lemelson-MIT group on Monday, August 22.

I have worked closely with many of you over the years and I'm always so
happy to hear of the opportunities that await you each year. Each June I
feel a little bit empty, then I get re-energized each September as a new
group of treasurers, club presidents, coaches, etc. find their way to my
office for guidance, a snack or just someone to listen. Now it's my time
to take on a new challenge and opportunity and I'm very happy that you can
still all visit me.  Even though I will be changing roles, I am in fact
not going far. My new office will be located in 10-110.  Please feel free
to keep in touch and stop by to see me.

As I am transitioning into my new role with Lemelson, there will be some
changes within the Student Activities Office.  I ask that you please be
patient as there is new staff on board, and a different structure to help
cover my absence.  The plan moving forward is to work to fill my position
with a new person but the group will really need your patience and
understanding during this time.  Processing of financial transactions and

Please see the chart as to who you should contact:
- send all RFP's to Catherine Hursh (cahursh at mit.edu)
- financial questions please e-mail funds at mit.edu
- finboard questions please e-mail finboard-request at mit.edu
- travel please e-mail Leah Flynn (laflynn at mit.edu)
- Student group advising please contact any member of the Student
Activities Staff

Please join me in welcoming some new staff to our team:
- Katrina Hill, Program Assistant will join us on August 18th
- La-Tarri Canty, Assistant Director of Student Activities and
Multicultural Programs and joins out staff on August 15th
- Alana Hamlett, Assistant Director of Student Activities joined our staff
on July 5th

Thank you again for the phenomenal experiences.

Kerri
Assistant Director of Finance for Student Activities

----------------------------------

4. CAC Summer Newsletter

The latest CAC newsletter is available at:
http://studentlife.mit.edu/sites/default/files/CAConnections%20Summer11.pdf.

This issue features:
Coffeehouse Lounge program
MIT 150th Open House
CAC staff changes
Art portfolio expands

----------------------------------

5.  SLOPE Events Changed

The SLOPE Tuesday and Friday night events of undergraduate Orientation
have changed structure from previous years.  The event on Tuesday night
will no longer be a student group festival; performances have been moved
to the Friday Night Event.  Performance groups have already been contacted
about participation in the Friday night event.  Please email
asa-exec at mit.edu with any questions.

----------------------------------

6. New student group office lock policy

The ASA has worked with the CAC to update and improve the office lock
policy.  The main change makes it possible for a group to obtain "blank"
cards -- not associated with any individual -- for access to its office.
This can be used as a more secure alternative to combos, by signing out a
card for short-term access.  Other changes include clarifying the process
for requesting updates to office access.

The new lock policy is posted at:
http://web.mit.edu/asa/resources/office-space-alloc.html

Please feel free to email asa-exec at mit.edu with any requests, questions,
or other inquiries.