[ASA-Official] FYSM deadline extended to 6/1, and other updates

Tony Valderrama tvald at MIT.EDU
Sat May 30 23:43:08 EDT 2009

Dear Student Groups,

Please take note of the following announcements, with details included
below:

1. First Year Summer Mailing (FYSM) submissions due by THIS Monday, June
1st - Note: extended deadline
2. Pictures and logos for The Graduate Orientation issue due by June 10th
3. Opportunity for ASA Early Returns - respond by THIS Monday, June 1st
4. Update on Bulletin Board Allocations

---------------------------------

1. First Year Summer Mailing (FYSM) submissions due by THIS Monday, June
1st - Note: extended deadline

This year the ASA will compile a website with an index of all groups
like the CD publication in recent years, but will not have the website
printed on CDs to reduce environmental and monetary waste.  Instead, the
website will be advertised to incoming students through postcards and
The Graduate (formerly the Graduate Student News).  The website will
include a slideshow feature to allow students to browse all student
activities; each student group will be able to submit a slide.
Additionally, each group will be able to link to its website from the slide.

This is a great way to publicize your group to incoming undergraduate
/and/ graduate students and we highly recommend you take a few minutes
to submit something.  More information and the submission form can be
found at: http://web.mit.edu/asa/publicity/summer-mailing.html

Submissions must be in by Monday, June 1st at 11:59 PM - Note: extended
deadline

If you want to see if your group has already submitted something, you
can check:
http://mit.edu/asa/web_scripts/applications/fysm/submissions09-list

Please contact asa-fysm at mit.edu with any troubles or questions regarding
the submission form or FYSM in general.

---------------------------------

2. Pictures and logos for The Graduate Orientation issue due by June 10th

The Graduate (formerly the Graduate Student News) is looking for
pictures or logos of student groups, and especially graduate student
groups, to be placed in its Orientation issue.

The cost of putting a student group picture or logo is $10 for 1/32nd or
$20 for 1/16th of a page.  These are currently the only two options, but
if more bigger ad/picture space becomes available, then there will be
another notification.

Anyone interested should submit a color picture or logo in jpg, gif, or
tif form to gsn-editor at mit.edu by June 10th.

---------------------------------

3. Opportunity for ASA Early Returns - respond by THIS Monday, June 1st

If you are an undergraduate student who is eligible to register for MIT
in the fall, and if you will be living in an undergraduate dorm during
Fall 2009, you are eligible to apply for an early return.  Early returns
are given to a limited number of students who will be assisting in a
facet of Orientation, such as the Activities Midway in the case of ASA
early returns.  Currently, early returns are projected to be able to
move into their dorms on August 31, 2009 - five days before the usual
upperclassmen move-in.

If you wish to apply for an early return in order to assist with a
student group's activities, please notify the ASA Executive Board via
email (asa-exec at mit.edu).

Please include:
* your name and class year
* the group(s) you will be assisting and how you will be doing so
* the dorm you will be moving into
* the date you intend to return.

After notifying the ASA, you will then be able to apply for an early
return through MIT Housing; this application will be released on June 1
and is due by July 1. The ASA itself does not grant early returns: we
simply help in coordinating the process.  Please feel free to contact
asa-exec at mit.edu if you have any questions.

NOTE: If you already have MIT summer housing, you do not need to apply
for an early return, as you are already entitled to continuous housing
privileges.

4. Update on Bulletin Board Allocations

We are still working out some final details in the allocations and
planning moving.  We apologize for the delay; we expect allocations to
be released within a week.

Sincerely,
The ASA Executive Board