[Physics opps] Fwd: Seeking math/science instructors

8-opps@mit.edu 8-opps at mit.edu
Tue Jul 14 18:23:14 EDT 2009

Dear all, while avoiding taking this list off-purpose, here is some
commentary from one of your colleagues regarding whether the previous post
is indeed "genuine":
> I looked into this possibility, and I found a number of
> alarming websites
> about what happens to foreigners teaching in Korea:
>  <http://seoul.usembassy.gov/t_overview.html>
http://seoul.usembassy.gov/t_overview.html
>  <http://blacklist.tokyojon.com/dont_teach_in_korea.html>
http://blacklist.tokyojon.com/dont_teach_in_korea.html
>  <http://www.geocities.com/hagwonblacklist/>
http://www.geocities.com/hagwonblacklist/

> Regarding this specific opportunity, note that I couldn't
> find any info
> online (at least in English) on this specific prep school,
> and the quoted
> wages are way out of line with respect to the market (six times the
> typical salary), which seems especially unlikely to be
> afforable for an
> employer during a major recession.

Regarding the lack of web presence for the purported school, the message's
source says:

>I'm sorry -- we do not have a website yet, since our program was only
created one month ago.  However,
>I would be happy to discuss our founders' tutoring experience with any
potential instructors.

Caveat emptor, carpe diem, semper ubi sub ubi.

  _____