Subject: [Class of 2014] Career Services - Tips for Interviewing

From: daesun yim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 14:06:54 -0500

Dear Class of 2014,

If you're looking for summer internships, hopefully you've been getting some
interviews. (And if you're thinking about it but haven't started yet... you
might want to!) Interviewing is a difficult skill to master - so in
conjunction with MIT Career Services, we're sending out an e-mail with a few
interviewing tips and some useful upcoming events.

*These are good:*

-          *Find out as much as you can about the interview:* Approximately
how long the interview will last? How many people will you be meeting with?
What type of interview will it be – Behavioral? Case? Technical?

-          *Research the organization* for which you are interviewing.
Review their website thoroughly, read recent articles about the organization
and the industry, and ask people you know who have worked or currently work
there (including past interns).

-          *Practice, Practice, Practice*!  Practice in front of the mirror,
practice with friends or family, or schedule a mock interview with a member
of the GECD-Career Services staff. To schedule an appointment, login to
CareerBridge <https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/student/> and click on the
awkwardly-phrased "Click Here Book an Appointment" link.

-          *Watch the online presentation *on Effective*
*Interviewing<http://web.mit.edu/career/www/services/workshops.html>
.

-          *Be prompt*. Be sure you know where you are going and how long it
will take you to get there. Contact your interviewer beforehand if you are
unavoidably going to be late.

-          *Be positive, enthusiastic, confident, and friendly *to *everyone
* you meet. This includes receptionists and secretaries! Make eye contact,
smile, give firm handshakes, engage in small talk, etc.

-          *Dress appropriately.* It’s okay to be dressed a little more
formally than your interviewer, but know the industry in which you are
interviewing and find out what is appropriate interview attire for that
industry.

-          *Ask for business cards* of all the people who interviewed you
and *follow up with individualized thank you* *notes *(e-mail is fine)
within 24 hours.

*These are not:*

-          *Improvise / wing it / freeball / etc.* Your interviewer will
know.

-          *Speak negatively about people or experiences. *If asked about an
experience that you didn’t enjoy,* *put a positive spin on it. For example,
focus your response on what you learned from that experience. If you have
nothing positive to say about an experience, leave it off your resume so
that you won’t be asked about it!

-          *Share too much personal information*. Stick to talking about
your professional experiences during your interview.

If you have been applying for positions, but are not having luck getting
interviews, it might be a good idea to meet with a member of the GECD-Career
Services staff to get some advice on how to re-strategize your search.
Schedule an appointment through
CareerBridge<https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/student/> (log
in -> "Click Here Book an Appointment").

And here are some upcoming events that may be of interest to you:

*Ace the Interview: Behavioral Interview Strategies, *Wednesday, March 2; 4
- 5:15 PM, 1-190*                                *

Organizations, in every career field and industry, are using behavioral
interviewing techniques to screen candidates.  Understanding how to excel in
this interview environment is a crucial job-seeking skill.  Ace the
interview and master behavioral interview strategies.  Learn the purpose of
behavioral interviews, how to prepare, and practice example behavioral
questions.  Register on CareerBridge (click on Workshops Career Fairs and
Events).

*Case Interview Workshop with PA Consulting, *Thursday, March 3; 4 - 5:30
PM, 1-190*         *

How many mailboxes are in the United States? What should it cost to rent
Central Park for commercial purposes? Why is my interviewer asking me these
absurd questions? Case interviews are a common part of the interview process
for many consulting and finance jobs. How you answer the questions above can
make or break an interview. Join MIT GECD and PA Consulting for a workshop
focused on preparation for case interviews. To register visit CareerBridge
at https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/student/ and select Workshops, Career
Fairs and Events.

*So You Got a Job… Now What? Strategies for Success in Your New
Position, *Thursday,
March 10; 3 - 4 PM, 1-246*                      *

Interested in making the most of your new job or internship? Concerned about
fitting into your new environment? Afraid of making mistakes? Not sure how
to relate to coworkers and supervisors of varying ages? Getting hired is
only the first step, and this workshop will help outline strategies for a
successful transition into your new position. Register on CareerBridge
(under "Workshops Career Fairs and Events").

*Skills and Values Small Group, *Thursday, March 10; 4 - 5 PM, 12-196
In order to make good career decisions, it’s important to have a clear
understanding of your strengths and internal priorities. This hands-on
workshop includes exercises to help you clarify your transferable skills and
values. This event will help you begin the process of identifying your
skills and abilities that you will market to employers. Students at all
stages can benefit from these exercises. To register for these events,
please visit CareerBridge and select Workshops, Career Fairs and Events.
Each session is limited to 15 students.

Hope you find this information useful!

Love,

Your Class Council