Subject: [2014class] Exploring Major and Career Options!

From: Candace Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:27:39 -0500

Dear Class of 2014,

In cooperation with Rachel Greenberg (the GECD-Career Services freshmen
liaison), we will be providing you with resources and services to assist you
in the beginning of your career exploration and development. We'll be
sending periodic e-mails in order to make sure you're aware of GECD
resources that can assist you with exploring career options, your summer
internship search, choosing a major, and more! Feel free to send your ideas
and thoughts directly to Rachel (e-mail: [email-masked]).

*Rachel's first topic -- Self-Assessment and Exploring Your Major and Career
Options:*

* *

If you are not sure what you would like to major in, or in which field you
might be interested in getting an internship, you are not alone. Even though
you may sometimes feel like you are the only MIT freshman who is still
undecided, I assure you that more peers than you realize are also still
figuring out their interests! I can also assure you that you are right on
track in your career development. Though some people in your life may not
agree, I believe this is the time in your life to explore a variety of
possibilities, learn about your many options, assess your strengths,
interests, values and personality, and try new things.

For those of you who are fairly certain you know what you want to do,
conducting self-assessment is still an important step in your career
development and something you should re-visit throughout your career. By
examining what other options exist out there, you will either re-affirm your
current interests or learn about another field(s) that you may be interested
in. Either way, you win!

Here are a few ideas to help you begin this exploration process and to
narrow down your options:

·         *Take Sigi3*, a free online self-assessment tool offered by
CareerBridge <https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/student/>.

·         *Sign up for a freshman group advising session or individual
appointment* with me or a member of the GECD-Career Services staff via
CareerBridge <https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/student/>. You can register
for group advising sessions by clicking on “Workshops, Career Fairs and
Events” from the menu at the top of the page; alternatively, you can sign up
for an individual appointment by selecting “Click Here to Book an
Appointment” from the CareerBridge main page.

·         *Talk to other students, alumni, family, friends, and any others
you meet to learn more about their fields*.

GECD-Career Services looks forward to working with you throughout your time
at MIT. Come visit us soon!

Sincerely,

Rachel Greenberg & Your Class Council

Candace Chen
Class of 2014 Vice President
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
[email-masked]