Subject: [Class of 2014] Starting Spring Semester Successfully

From: daesun yim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:48:56 -0500

Dear Freshmen,

The spring semester starts up soon, and now would be a good time to plan and
strategize for the coming months. Do you need to decide on a major? Are you
planning to find a UROP? Will you search for a summer internship?

How are you going to approach these tasks?

Before your schedule fills up - i.e. now! - set aside time each week* *to
explore majors, search for a UROP, or scope out internships. Enter it into
your calendar, jot down post-its - whatever helps you. These things take
time (saving it for an all-nighter might possibly be a bad idea). Talk to
other students. Alumni, family, and friends can also give valuable advice.
The MIT Alumni Directory <http://alum.mit.edu/> and
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/> can
help to identify professionals in your field(s) of interest.

Other helpful resources for your internship quest:

-          The Internships at
MIT<http://web.mit.edu/career/www/jobs/internships.html> page
and the Career Development Center's many Tips
Guides<http://web.mit.edu/career/www/guide/> contain resources
to help you conduct a successful internship search, as well as information
about MIT’s many other post-freshman-year internship programs.

-          Come to GECD-Career Services drop-in
hours<http://web.mit.edu/career/www/services/walkins.html> to
receive resumé and cover letter assistance, or just answers to quick
questions.

-          Attend GECD-Career Services' workshops and
events<http://web.mit.edu/career/www/events/>
* *(follow the 'MIT Careers Office Calendar' link). The upcoming events are
specifically geared toward freshmen:

    o *Dress for Success Fashion Show, Wednesday, February 2, Bush Room,
7:30 - 8:30 PM*

**    o *Conversations & Career Paths, Wednesday, February 16, Room 4-163,
7:00 - 8:30 PM*

And if you have further ideas for event topics or helpful resources,
Rachel ([email-masked]) would love to hear from you!

Have a great semester,

Rachel Greenberg & Your Class Council