[TCCM] Welcoming the New Interim Catholic Chaplain, Fr. Michael Medas!

Mariana Avila avilam at mit.edu
Wed Aug 12 23:02:10 EDT 2020

Dear Tech Catholic Community,

We would like to introduce the new Interim Catholic Chaplain at MIT, Father Michael Medas. He comes to MIT with many years of experience (see below for his bio), and can be contacted directly at mmedas at mit.edu<mailto:mmedas at mit.edu>. We encourage the community to reach out and get acquainted.

We have begun working with Fr. Michael on TCC plans for the Fall, and look forward to announcing them as we get closer to the start of the semester. We hope you have all had a restful summer, and please join us in welcoming Fr. Michael to the TCC!

Mariana Avila
TCC Council Chair

Allison Chang
TCC Advisory Board Co-Chair

Father Michael Medas, M.S.W., joins the M.I.T. community with 32 years of varied and creative experience as a priest of the Archdiocese of Boston. Through those years a quote from Pope Saint John XXIII has been a dynamic light: “Seek what unites, not what divides you one from another.”

Fr. Michael graduated from both St. John’s Seminary College (B.A. Philosophy) and St. John’s Seminary School of Theology (M.Div.), being ordained a Catholic priest in June 1988. After serving several years in parish ministry, Fr. Michael was chosen for graduate studies, in Washington, D.C., pursing a Master of Social Work degree at Gallaudet University. Upon completion of the degree he was appointed Director of the Apostolate for the Deaf in the Archdiocese of Boston; a position he held until 2007. Fr. Michael was then appointed to the faculty of Saint John’s Seminary, Boston, as Director of Pastoral Formation and Professor of Homiletics.

In June 2010, Cardinal Sean O’Malley, Archbishop of Boston, appointed Fr. Michael Director of Clergy Personnel for the Archdiocese of Boston. He was the Cardinal’s delegate responsible for facilitating the assignments of 450 active priests of the Archdiocese, planning and implementing ongoing formation events for the Archdiocesan clergy – with an emphasis on those ordained 0 – 5years, and seeking a holistic ministry environment for clergy holding Archdiocesan assignments.

Upon completion of his assignment as Director of Clergy Personnel, Fr. Michael served as initiator and pastor of parish collaboratives in Middleton and Topsfield, and Cohasset and Hull, Massachusetts.

In addition to Fr. Michael’s ministry to the local Church, he serves as a chaplain in the United States Air Force Reserve/Air National Guard with assignments throughout the United States - including at the United States Air Force Academy, overseas, and locally. Fr. Michael is currently Wing Chaplain to the 158th Fighter Wing in Burlington, Vermont.

A Scripture quote that Fr. Michael seeks to live out: “If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it doesn’t have a swelled head. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts God, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never dies.” 1Cor 13:3 - 8