[TCCM] TCC Bulletin 2/3/19

Kevin Limanta klimanta at mit.edu
Fri Feb 1 10:33:25 EST 2019

Hey friends!

Here is the bulletin for week ending in January 27, 2019.
http://web.mit.edu/tcc/archives/public/bulletin/2019/bulletin.2019-2-3.pdf

The main contents are:

  *   Weekday Masses will resume on Monday, February 4
  *   TCC Winter Retreat on February 15-17, sign up in the Chapel after Mass or email catholic at mit.edu
  *   Old Testament Prophets: Lecture and discussion at St. Cecilia's Parish on Wed, Feb 13 6:30-8PM
  *   Adventures of a Vatican Astronomer: keynote talk at St. Paul's Parish on Wed, Feb 13 7:00PM
  *   The Galileo Affair in Context: talk in Room WCC-2012 Wasserstein Hall, Harvard Law School on Thurs, Feb 14 12:00PM

Weekly ongoing events:

  *   “What do I live for?”: Resumes on Tues, February 5
  *   Join the Choir!
  *   Do BBMSK!
  *   Men’s Chastity Group
  *   FIAT - group for single women interested in learning more about a vocation to religious life

Winter Weather Closings: Whenever MIT closes, or whenever the roads are unsafe for Fr. Moloney to make it into campus, it is likely that Mass or other activities will be cancelled. To receive notice that Mass is cancelled, it is important that everyone subscribe to TCCM at mit.edu, our main mailing list. To add yourself to the list go to:  http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/tccm.

Weekday Masses will resume on February 4.

Worried about Meals during IAP? Weekly Meals during IAP will be served, free of charge, in the W11 Main Dining Room on Mondays from 5-6pm. Sponsored by ORSEL & Student Support and Wellbeing, with MIT Origins Club, whose members will prepare and serve the food.

TCC Winter Retreat: February 15-17, 2019. TCC is planning the Winter Retreat at the Betania II Spiritual Life & Marian Center in Medway, MA. Bus transfer to and from the retreat center, lodging, and food at the retreat center are free. The bus departs MIT W11 on Friday, February 15 at 7 PM. We will leave from the Betania II on Sunday, February 17 at 11 AM. Space is limited! Please sign up in the back of the Chapel or email catholic at mit.edu.

Old Testament Prophets: Lecture and discussion on Wednesday, Feb. 13, 6:30 - 8 PM, St. Cecilia’s Parish Hall/Boston. Workshop “Would you recognize a Prophet if you saw or heard one? The Hebrew Prophets: Voices for out Times”  presented by Richard J. Clifford, SJ, Professor Emeritus at the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry. Please register for free at http://bit.ly/Hebrew-Prophets

Adventures of a Vatican Astronomer: 7:00 PM (reception following) on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at St. Paul’s Parish in Harvard Square (29 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge, MA). Br. Guy Consolmagno, SJ, is a Jesuit brother, planetary scientist, and Director of the Vatican Observatory. Having earned his B.S. and M.S. in planetary science at MIT and a PhD at the University of Arizona, Br. Consolmagno’s time is now split between the meteorite collection in Rome and the Vatican telescope in Arizona. Thanks to his Vatican connections, his work has sent him around the world several times to dozens of countries and every continent (including a meteorite hunting expedition to Antarctica). In this keynote talk, he will share some of those adventures, and reflect on the larger meaning of our common experience as scientists… not only what we do, but why we do it.

The Galileo Affair in Context: 12:00 PM on Thursday, Feb. 14 in Room WCC-2012, Wasserstein Hall, Harvard Law School. Science is always shaped by what is happening in the broader society that supports it, and the science of the 17th century was no different. Speaking as a Jesuit scientist, not a professional historian, Dr. Consolmagno examines how Galileo's work challenged the science of the day, how it was shaped by the personal ambitions of the main players in the field of natural philosophy at that time, and how Galileo's standing rose and fell with the fortunes of the Spanish during the 30 Years War.

Want to join the Choir? For details, visit bit.ly/mit-tcc-choir or email Piotr Suwara (suwara at mit.edu)

BBMSK (Back Bay Mobile Soup Kitchen):  We serve homeless communities in Back Bay and Cambridge giving out socks, sandwiches, and a friendly presence to folks we come across on the street. When? 6:00 PM on Tuesdays at W11 or 6:00 PM on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays in front of St. Clement's Shrine.  For more info, visit bbmsk.org

“What do I live for?”: Resumes on February 5!  Reflect on our daily experience and on our values/needs. Italian food will be provided! Tuesdays from 7pm to 8pm @ the Student Center, Private Dining Room #3. For more info: Elisa: elisap at mit.edu

Integrity at MIT: Contact integrity at mit.edu for more information and times of weekly meetings.

FIAT: A group for single women interested in learning more about a vocation to religious life in the Catholic Church, cordially invites you to the next meeting on February 6, 2019 at 7:00 PM. at the Sisters of St. Joseph Motherhouse, 637 Cambridge Street, Brighton, MA.  The topic will be “Spiritual Direction.” For more information, contact Sr. Marian Batho, CSJ at marian.batho at csjboston.org or 617-746-2025. Check out the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/FiatForDiscerningWomen

Check future bulletins for the starting times for:
-Melchizedek Group for Priestly Vocations          -Grad Student Group Diner / Adoration
-Women’s Discernment Group for Religious Life        -RCIA

In Christ,
Kevin Limanta
TCC Webmaster
tcc-webmaster at mit.edu