[TCCM] Bulletin

Michael Teodros mteodros at mit.edu
Fri Oct 5 21:47:32 EDT 2018

Hey friends!

Here is the bulletin!<http://web.mit.edu/tcc/archives/public/bulletin/2018/bulletin.2018-10-5.pdf>

These are the contents of the bulletin:

*        Two TI talks on human vs. machine and animal intelligence, one on the 12th and one on the 25th

*        TCC Phone-a-thon on the 16th

*        RCIA classes on Sundays starting on the 14th

*        Women's Discernment Group for Religious Life on Wednesdays

*        Guided discussions on "what do I live for?" on Tuesdays

*        Info about Grad Student Dinners, Bible Studies, Spaghetti Supper, Choir, BBMSK

More details below:

The Thomistic Institute @MIT is sponsoring a two part series this month, "The Distinctiveness of Human Intelligence"
* Can Machines be Intelligent? Friday, October 12 at 5:30 in room 4-163. Fr. Anselm Ramelow, OP, from the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology. You can register at https://thomisticinstitute.org/events/the-distinctiveness-of-human-intelligence.
* Are Animals Intelligent? Thursday, October 25 at 6:30 in 3-270. Prof. Marie George, St. John's University. Thursday, October 25 at 6:30 in 3-270. Register here: https://thomisticinstitute.org/events/can-animals-be-intelligent-1.

TCC Phone-a-thon: Volunteers are needed for a student phone-a-thin on October 16. We will meet 7- 8:30 PM in the basement of the Student Center (W20-022) and will be having free dinner. We plan to call the TCC's largest donors and thank them for their support. Any help is greatly appreciated. Contact Colleen Foley (crfoley at mit.edu) with questions.

Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) and Course in the Fundamentals of the Catholic Faith: Fr. Moloney will be offering a class in the fundamentals of the Catholic faith on Sundays from 2:45-3:45 PM in the Small Dining Room of W11. The class will cover everything from the Trinity to Church history to the Sacraments, prayer, and the moral life. It is meant to be both a high-level introduction to the faith appropriate for interested non-Catholics, and a serious review of the faith for those who are Catholics. It is required for those in becoming Catholic, being Baptized, receiving First Communion, or being Confirmed (who shold also reach out to Fr. Moloney to set up a time to talk individually (dmoloney at mit.edu). Classes will start October 14 and run for the rest of the year.

Women's Discernment Group for Religious Life: Fr. Moloney will lead a reading and discussion group about the nature of the vocation to celibacy in religious life, and how to discern if God is calling us to be "like the angels in heaven" (Matthew 22:30). Meeting times Wednesday at 5 PM. To attend doesn't mean that you are thinking about entering the convent, or even that you're not dating. It can simply mean that you're interested in supporting others who are thinking about religious life. If interested, contact Mariah Mullen (mmullen at mit.edu). Copies of the book Discerning Religious Life are available in the office in W11-012

"What do I live for?": Let's take time in our busy routine to discuss what really matters in our life. We'll be guided by a few proposed readings that can help us to reflect on our daily experience and on our values/ needs. Italian food will be provided! Tuesdays from 7pm to 8pm @ the Student Center, Private Dining Room #3. For more information contact Elisa: elisap at mit.edu

Grad Student Group dinner followed by Adoration: Wednesdays 7:30 PM in PDR #3/W20-303 or meet inside W20 doors at 7:15 to grab some food. If you can't find us, call Aileen at 925-852-1882.

Interested in joining an undergraduate Bible study? Contact rachel.zuroski at focus.org<mailto:lisa.driscoll at focus.org> for women and
gregory.giangiordano at focus.org<mailto:gregory.giangiordano at focus.org> for men to get connected to the right study for you!
Interested in joining a graduate Bible study? Contact Brandon Roach at roachb at mit.edu<mailto:roachb at mit.edu> for men
and Charlotte Ong at cxyong at mit.edu<mailto:cxyong at mit.edu> for women!

Spaghetti Suppers: Join the TCC every Friday night from 7-9 PM in the W11 Community Room for a
free spaghetti supper! This is a time for food, fellowship, and fun.

Want to join the Choir? We are looking for new singers and instrumentalists (in particular, we are
looking for pianists/organists!) for the TCC Choir. Just come to one of the rehearsals on Sundays:
8:30am for the 9:30am Mass, 11:30am for the 1pm Mass (and Tue 7-8:30pm), 4pm for the 5pm Mass. For
details, visit bit.ly/mit-tcc-choir or email Piotr Suwara (suwara at mit.edu<mailto:suwara at mit.edu>).

BBMSK (Back Bay Mobile Soup Kitchen): We serve homeless communities in Back Bay and
Cambridge giving out socks, sandwiches, and a friendly presence to folks we come across on the street.
When? 6:00 PM on Tuesdays at W11 or 6:00 PM on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays in front of St.
Clement's Shrine. For more info, visit bbmsk.org or email James Rowe (jcrowe at mit.edu<mailto:jcrowe at mit.edu>).

Happy Friday!
-Mike