[TCCM] TCC Theology on Tap, this Friday! *REMINDER*

Adam Q Kuang aqkuang at mit.edu
Mon Nov 30 13:46:15 EST 2015

Good Afternoon Folks,

I hope people are as excited as I am for the TCC's very first Theology
on Tap!

To start things off, the topic will be centered on *'morally guided
research' *a topic I believe hits home to many of us here at MIT. We
will be using Pope Francis' recent encyclical, /Laudato Si,/ as a
backdrop to the discussion. Hence, I believe that the topic is *relevant
to all members of the TCC including alumni and non-engineers.* So do
*COME*!!! I believe that there will be something in it for everyone! A
good turn out would be a great indicator that this is the sort of social
event that folks want!!!

Fr. Dan will kick start the discussion by giving a brief overview of
Laudato Si; following which we will have Josh Hester, Co-Chair of the
GSC Sustainability Subcommittee, discussing how the Pope's encyclical
resonates with him in his work on campus; and lastly I will talk briefly
about the responsibility I feel Pope Francis is challenging me to have
to society as an Engineer/Scientist! This will be followed by a Q&A and
a chance to socialize!

The details for the event are as follows:

Location    :    The Thirsty Ear Pub (Ashdown Graduate Housing)
Time          :    Please aim to arrive at 6.45 pm, we plan to kick
start things at 7.15 pm and wrap it discussion by 8.30pm latest. We get
kicked out of the Thirsty at 9.30pm.
/Light refreshments will be available. The kitchen will not be open for
the event.
So get some dinner or bring take out if you want a solid meal! I believe
I am supposed to encourage responsible drinking./

Note: The Thirsty Ear Pub is a pub! All guest must be 21+ with valid
government ID to enter (They accept foreign driving licenses).

Over the last month I have included a weekly reading in the bulletin,
the links are summarized below. *IT IS OKAY TO NOT HAVE READ THEM!*
Please come even if you have no clue, we're all here to learn together!

1)    A discussion of the responsibility we have to society
http://catholicmoraltheology.com/two-things-to-know-about-laudato-si-and-technology/
2)    The wide ranging effects a single technology can have on society.
A case study of Technology Shock on 'shotgun marriages' and the effect
it has on relationship.
http://www.brookings.edu/research/papers/1996/08/childrenfamilies-akerlof
3)    A summary of the 6 chapters in the encyclical provided by the vatican
http://www.news.va/en/news/overview-of-the-encyclical-laudato-si
4)    A link to the encyclical itself! As a simple beginning, I would
suggest reading the introduction. Paragraphs 1-16
http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/encyclicals/documents/papa-francesco_20150524_enciclica-laudato-si.html

I hope to see you guys there!

Cheers,
Adam