[TCCM] TCC response on climate change

Adam Q Kuang aqkuang at mit.edu
Wed Jun 3 10:29:22 EDT 2015

To our Brothers and Sisters in Faith:

Recently the TCC Council was asked to sign a letter, jointly written by
various MIT sustainability groups, to President Reif requesting him to
step up efforts to make MIT a world leader in the fight against climate
change. We debated about this issue quite heavily and the council was
split on whether or not to sign. In the end, the vote swung towards not
signing. We feel that it is important to make the reason for our
decision clear.

As Catholics, we are called to be stewards of God’s creation. God
created all that is and ever will be, and it is our duty to respect the
goodness of creation and use the Earth’s resources wisely (CCC 339).
 From a social/moral perspective, the changes predicted by climate
change disproportionately affect those who are poor -- the people whom
we are called most strongly to serve. Pope Francis has been outspoken in
encouraging the faithful to be protectors of the environment, and we are
all excitedly awaiting his next encyclical on the environment, due to be
released sometime this summer. In the meantime, we encourage you to pray
about your own personal impact on the environment with the following
‘Ecological Examen’, by Father Greg Kennedy, a Jesuit priest in Canada:
http://blog.jesuits.ca/index.cfm/2014/10/29/Ecological-Examen.

As a council, we acknowledge that although there is a clear mandate from
the Church to take care of our environment, we felt that the tone of the
letter and the content did not truly reflect a strictly Catholic
perspective on the topic. Climate change in particular has become a
highly politicized topic that has polarized our society. We felt obliged
to remain neutral in this instance as we were uncertain if there existed
clear agreement, within the TCC community whom we serve, for or against
climate change. After all, acceptance of anthropomorphic climate change
is not a requirement to being a Catholic and it is not necessarily
agreed upon as being a Catholic stance on a secular matter.

We respect the intellectual identity of each of you as individuals and
would like to encourage everybody to read more deeply into the matter.
Apply the analytical thinking that we are here at MIT to cultivate and
seek God's guidance. We would like you to decide for yourself whether
you wish to support this initiative. If you would like to sign the
letter as an individual, the link is available
here:http://mitclimatelegacy.org/.

Yours in Service,

The TCC Council