[TCCM] Events for the Week of 5/14

Joe Pokora jpokora at MIT.EDU
Mon May 15 04:07:23 EDT 2006

This is MIT's Tech Catholic Community's (TCC) weekly email.
To unsubscribe use the list web page:
For up-to-date information: http://web.mit.edu/tcc/www/

---------------------------
TCC Events for the Week of 5/14
---------------------------

- TCC raised $1000+
- TCC Pilgrimage to the Holy Land

- Monday Nights
- TCC's "RCIA/Confirmation" Group
- Graduate Student Scripture Study
- Undergraduate Scripture Study
- Interdenominational Scripture Study
- Eucharistic Exposition- Weekday Masses
- Getting Married?
- Baptizing a Child?/Becoming a Godparent?

- Volunteering?
- Walk for Hunger with TCC

- Unlocking the Da Vinci Code
- MIT and YCT Catholic Connection
- Sidewalk Counseling at Planned Parenthood

---------------------------
Sign-ups and one-time events
---------------------------

- TCC Raised $1000+
for the "Project Bread/Walk for Hunger"
Thanks and congratulations to our walkers.

- TCC Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
5-11 January 2007 - Led by Fr. Paul and Anne Orlando
* Tantur Ecumencial Institute - http://www.nd.edu/~tantur/start.htm
* Arrive Jerusalem: January 5, 2007 (depart USA Jan. 4)
* Depart Jerusalem: January, 11 2007
* $800/ person double occuplancy ($100 more for single rooms)
* Price includes: All meals, tips, entarace fees (for schedualed
visits), Transportation by Private Busses (No public transportation will
be used), Evening Speaker Series
* You must arrange your own air transportation to/from Israel
* Important note: Once you join the tour in Jerusalem, you will be
required to stay with the tour group the entire time
* Space for this pilgrimage is limited - seriously interested contact
Ann or Fr. Paul by May 30

Day I: if time, Orientation around Jarusalem
Day II: Old City (Via Dolorosa, Church of HOly Sepulcher, Western Wall,
Temple Mount, Cenacle), Yad Vashem. Evening Conversation: An Israeli Jew
talks about connection to the Land
Day III: Massada, Dead Sea, Ein Gedi, Qumran, perhaps Jericho. Evening
Conversation: a Muslim talks about Life in Israel and the West Bank
Day IV: Galilee: Capernaum, Tabgha (Loaes & Fish), Mount of Beatitudes,
Nazareth. Evening Conversation: a Palestinian Christian speaks about
Christian Life in the West Bank and Israel
Day V: Bethlehem, Bethlehem University?, Beit Sahour (Sheperds Field),
Herodian? Israel Museum
Vay VI: Walking Tour of Jerusalem (details TBD)
Day VII: Departure

---------------------------
Ongoing Events
---------------------------

- Monday Nights
** May 15 - Dinner & Discussion Re: "The Da Vinci Code" (Moderated by:
Ann Orlando)
Contact Brian Pate <bpate at mit.edu> for details and programming ideas.

- TCC's "RCIA/Confirmation" Group
Gathers Sunday at 4:00 pm in W11 Board Room. Stop by if you have
questions about adult Baptism or Confirmation.

- Graduate Student Scripture Study - RESUMES 2/22
Wednesday 6:30 - 8:00pm at St. Mary's Rectory
Join us this semester as we discuss the Gospel of Mark with Father Fred,
the pastor of St Mary's parish!  All you need is your bible!  St. Mary's
is at 134 Norfolk Street, near Central Square.  We will meet at 6:15pm
in Lobby 7 to walk over together.
Email e_basha at mit.edu for more information

- Undergraduate Scripture Study
This Bible Study meets on Thursdays at 8:30 in McCormick. It usually
runs for about an hour. The format of the study is basically reading,
meditating on, and discussing the Gospel for the following Sunday's Mass
during the first part, and then either listening to or reading something
of Catholic interest and discussing it.
Mailing list: compass-pe
For more info contact: joel_f at mit.edu

- Interdenominational Scripture Study
Interested in discussing Scripture with other Catholics and non-Catholic
Christians? This study chooses topics in advance about which Catholics
and other Christians usually disagree and then seeks to come to a better
understanding of these through Scripture as well as readings from the
early Church Fathers. It meets every other Thursday in W11 starting 10/6
from 7 -8:30pm.
Mailing list: tcc-ibs
For more information contact: joel_f at mit.edu

- Eucharistic Exposition
Join us Tuesday and Wednesday at 7:00pm for Eucharistic Adoration in the
Chapel.
For more information contact: mkward at mit.edu

- Weekday Masses
Join us for Mass Tuesday & Friday from 12:05 to ~12:35 in the Chapel.

- Getting Married?
Congratulations! Please talk to Fr. Paul as soon as possible to arrange
weddings here at MIT or to complete marriage prep and paperwork for
weddings happening outside of our community.

- Baptizing a Child?/Becoming a Godparent?
TCC loves to welcome children! Contact Fr. Paul to arrange baptisms here
at MIT or to receive help preparing for the sacrament outside of our
community.

---------------------------
Volunteer Opportunities
---------------------------

- Volunteering?
Contact F. Paul @ catholic at mit.edu for suggestions and listings!
"The Christ Connection": A part-time volunteer directory of
opportunities in the Boston area
"Connections 2004": A longer-term volunteer directory of opportunities
in the U.S. and abroad

---------------------------
Non-TCC Events (Catholic and Interdenominational)
---------------------------

- Unlocking the Da Vinci Code

Unlocking the Da Vinci Code will be held in La Sala at 7pm on thursday
May 18th.
The talk will be presented by Gene Breitenbach, an English Literature
Major from
Western Washington University.
Bring your questions, bring your friends, bring your mommy.

-Is The Da Vinci Code true?  Is its genre fiction or non-fiction?
-Are Dan Brown's sources credible?
-Was Jesus married to Mary Magdalene?
-Did Jesus have children?
-Would it have been wrong for Jesus to have been married/have children?
-What is the Holy Grail, and what does the Bible say about it?
-Did Constantine decide which books would be in the Bible? Were there other
gospels that were destroyed?
-Is Christianity based on older pagan beliefs and practices?
-Did Leonardo Da Vinci communicate secrets about the Holy Grail with his
art?
-Does the Priori of Sion exist?

- MIT and YCT Catholic Connection
Join a catholic message board with students from MIT and Yaba College of
Technology in Nigeria. Discuss issues of faith or just meet new people.
http://mit-yct-cc.blogspot.com/
Email Joel <joel_f at mit.edu>, Tony <tonyk at mit.edu>, or Paul
<pelliott at mit.edu> to join.

- Sidewalk Counseling at Planned Parenthood
Some members of MIT Pro-Life as well as some Catholics from parishes in
the Boston area come out each Saturday morning to do sidewalk counseling
at the Planned Parenthood on Comm Ave. This can involve anything from
praying, to holding a sign, passing out pamplets, talking with those
passing by, or simply hanging out  and being a supportive presence. In
addition, on the second Sat. of every month there is a huge Rosary vigil
there. If anyone is interested we'd love to have more people out there
on Saturday mornings. Contact joel_f at mit.edu